Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thigh Holster Or Belt Based Holster

Ok so i am going to the RM3G for the first time all the way from England, and wanted some opinions on what type is best. I know at the end of the day it all comes down to persoal prefference, but ive got one of these airsoft pistols, and want to try and build as much muscle memory as possible. :D

Trouble is i dont see many shooters using thigh rigs in 3 gun. Not the top guys anyway.

Why is this.?? :mellow:

Dont want to give my self the wrong prep work, if thigh rigs are a no no. ;)

I ve always used a paddle type in the past, but the thigh option looks so much more comfortable. :D

And no i dont use the C. A. R method of shooting :P:P:P;)

Can anyone Advise. B)

I've never actually used a thigh rig, but there are quite a few 3gunners around here who do. My observations:

- Slow compared to a Kydex belt holster.

- Most of the dropped guns I've seen have been from thigh rigs.

I've been contemplating a thigh rig for my rifle magazines, but I wouldn't use one for my pistol.

- Chris

In most 3gun competition, the holster must be worn at the waist line. Unless you are active LEO/Military then you can request the use of a thigh rig. Generally, IMHO a belt holster is going to be faster than a thigh rig.

What the others said: just go with a kydex belt holster. They hold the gun securely for when you are running or shooting a long gun, but still draw very fast.

Do they have full-on airsoft IPSC in the UK? I understand it's pretty popular in Japan and similar places where gun ownership is restricted.

As mentioned above thigh rigs are a tad slower. And in any case only high speed LE and current military can use them in USPSA competitions.

And since the vast majority of the contenders in 3G matches have long backgrounds in USPSA you won't see thigh holsters used by the contenders.

Of course you can use thigh rigs in RM3G.

But dude... if you have been practicing for a bazillion years with that paddle... don't change. RM3G is less than 3 weeks away.

For anything other than purely pistol shooting I prefer to use thigh rigs...but then I never win anything.

For certain matches where one needs to carry ammunition for all 3 guns at the same time, I believe it frees up enough belt space to comfortably carry more ammunition. I use a vest to carry rifle mags and shotgun ammo almost all the time...using a thigh rig prevents the vest from interfering with my draw.

If you are going to use one, stick with good brands like Safariland 3004 and 6004 or the Spec Ops Brand Vapor holster. Avoid the "gun bucket" types that require the use of a strap or thumb break to hold the gun secure...these kind will be slow, and even slower to reholster with.

A Friend of mine had me run the clock for him to test a Safariland 6004 against a CR Speed holster...his best runs with the CR Speed were 0.15 seconds faster than the Safariland. Is that enough of a time different to cost you placement at a 3 Gun Match?...I really don't know, but I'm content if I finish somewhere in the middle at national level matches.

I believe the answer to why most people do not use them for 3 gun is because, most come from a pistol shooting background where they are not allowed for competition use. Learning to use something else after years of using a particular item feels like a step in the wrong direction for most people.

Ian, wise choice young jedi ;)

Seeing as you already carry your SG ammo on your chest rig and on the gun, even in a stage that requires you to carry all 3 different weapon ammo requirements, you should have plenty of room for the HG mags and a spare AR mag or two.

There wasnt a stage last year that required all 3 different guns to be used so that wasnt really an issue, however I wouldnt dissmiss it for this year by any means.

Garrett, yep there is an airsoft pistol section of the UKPSA and there are a few dedicated people who shoot it. The main part of the UKPSA however is dedicated to IPSC shotgun. I have shot two IPSC airsoft pistol matches and they are ok for a bit of a laugh but to be honest I cant take it all that seriously. I dare not say that to the dedicated airsoft guys as they treat it as real training for level 3 IPSC matches in Europe etc, and they would feel kinda agreeved by my ignorance. :angry: Everybody to their own.

I do own a few wide stack 1911 airsofts but I have them for dry fire practice, drawing and familiarity, etc etc which is as close as we can get here.

I know what you mean,

I carnt really take airsoft that seriously either, as a dry fire tool/toy...because at the end of the day that is what it is... a toy... then ok, but to shoot on a regular basis in matches. :huh::huh::huh:

Dosent exactly float my boat either. :P

Catch ya later.

RM3G modified the IMGA rules to allow thigh rigs if you should choose to go that route. We've removed the requirement that holsters, magazine pouches, etc be worn on a belt at waist level. This rule was being largely ignored in most IMGA competitions (including SMM3G) and didn't make sense for 3-gun anyway. For details, see the latest RM3G rules on our website at www.rm3g.com.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.