Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cowhide V. Horsehide

sps

Whenever someone is thinking to buy a new holster there is always this guy (or gal) that will recommend a horsehide holster over cowhide. Is it true that horsehide is better than cowhide or is it just a personal preference? If there is something about horsehide that makes it better than cowhide could someone spell it out for me?

I just ordered a new holster for my S&W 586 4" and the guy over the phone recommended that if i live in a humid area i should go for the horsehide. Does climate has such an influence when it comes to choosing a holster?

Horsehide tends to be more dense that cowhide, thus it will not absorb moisture as easily as cowhide. That's why some of the better holster makers offer the horsehide as an option for IWB holsters in humid environments. Here is a link to a pretty good FAQ about horsehide for holsters. I have a Milt Sparks VM II holster in horsehide and I have been very pleased with the horsehide.

DWBobLD3.jpg

I have a Kramer IWB holster in horsehide that I've been wearing for the last 8 years. I carry all the time and I use this holster about 90% of the time. It is just as solid as it was on day one. I am extremely happy with it and would highly recommend a good horsehide holster if your going to pack leather. I have worn out several Milt Sparks Summer Specials over the years but, I think this Kramer will probably out last me.

I know this is purely a personal thing, but I couldn't buy or use horse hide. I'm not judging anyone who does, but I was raised on a horse and to me it feels creepily like a form of cannibalism. I know, I'm a big hippie, but I think it's true. Remember the old Arab proverb: "Treat a horse well, and it will fight, reproduce, and kill itself for you. Mistreat it and it will kill you." You have to admit, even humans tend to be much less admirable.

Just my two cents.

I have the same holster (Sparks VM-II) in horsehide and one in cowhide. The Horsehide is much better IMO and I will now always get horsehide over cow every time. The horsehide holster is significantly stiffer. The cow holster (while still good) colapses some which mades re-holstering a little more difficult. It seems like a small thing, but is significant to me and would be worth the extra $ or time for the horsehide.

thank you all for your inputs. I was very pleased to hear that the choice that i made was the right one. Now all that remains is to wait for it to arrive (around 4 weeks - tooooo looong) and i promise to post some pictures of it.

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks is pretty short... I am a waiting for a black horsey VM2 for a Glock 34 as I was impressed with a VM2 black horsey that I have for my 5" DW 1911..

The waiting does suck, I was lucky on the first holtser since LAS had it but the second is coming directly from Milt Sparks. I was calling around today trying to find a set of Spegel grips but NOBODY has them in stock, might be available in Oct with a price increase....