Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm Major Glock

mleeber

I am ready to take the plunge into 9mm Major and have a "spare" G17 with a 3-pin frame. However, I am having a really hard time with the idea of cutting a slot in my Glock slide for the KKM Hybrid Comp. Anyone tried both the normal compensated KKM and the new hybrid with the conical ports in the top of the Barrel? If so, is the hybrid that much better?

Any other advice (and buying an SV or STI is not a choice at those prices)?

Thanks!

Mark

I think it comes down to personal preference..... Also depends on what optic you plan on using.... Search under Open glock and you'll get a ton of results and info... BrianH here on the forums does some really nice work Experimental Machining. Mad scientist and 9major caspian has some great info as well... Tom Novak has built quite a few also.

I am currently shooting one of KKM's 2 port comps on a g22 sized frame and slide. I'm waiting for a new 4 port ti comp to tame the 9major. What area are you in maybe some one locally has an open glock that you could try out... I think 9major caspians gun has a 3 port comp plus a couple of blowholes as wel.. He could tell you how well it works though...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...0&hl=open+glock

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=open+glock

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=21125&hl=

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=18000&hl=

I forgot to add I originally was shooting a g22 slide with a kkm 8 port hybrid 24 length .40cal barrel. I definitely like the compensated gun better.....

I have had both, The 17 with a KKM & comp and a Caspian Hybrid.

Fish said it, it will depend on what you want to use it for. If you want to shoot USPSA open major, go with the comp set up, If for steel only go with the Hybrid. The major Glock I had was built by our Mad Scientist. he did a fantastic job. The gun ran real flat with 169 pf loads. The Caspian Hybrid was olso very flat shooting but with 140pf loads.

So you will have to decide which one. GOOD LUCK

post-3362-1122945357_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gents!

The links and pics are excellent and are a great help! My plan is to use this latest project as a USPSA open gun. If I decide to shoot steel I have the G34 pictured which I also use for GSSF unlimited (no comp but it works well). I was tempted to try a KKM barrel for the G34, add a comp, and have some blowholes cut into the barrel where the slide cutout is but I was told that the blowholes would not do anything in that setup.

G34.jpg

Sounds like a compensated barrel is what I need.... hdgun, I see your hybrid only has the blowholes and not the comp too. I think the new KKM has both. I think it is 3 or 4 blowholes and then a 4 port comp (2 top one each side) but I could be wrong. Since Caspian slides for a 17 are pretty much extinct and KKM has not started making them I am thinking my only choice is using the Glock slide. KKM has already said they would cut it for me if I go with the Hybrid comp but I am concerned about cracking.

I did shoot a Major 9 at the last USPSA match but it was a 1911 SV or one of those 1911 style guns. Very flat!

I have met John (Mad Scientist) several times, we shoot some of the same events here in north GA, and he has some very cool toys. Hawley does some really nice work too but if it is too pretty I will have to leave it in the safe so it does not get scratched.

Thanks!

Mark

Eric,

Is the slot where your front sight used to be a port? How flat does this beauty shoot? Is the Caspian slide lighter than the Glock slide? As I recall my Glock 17 slide is 2.7 oz.

Thanks!

Mark

I think he's talking about this, new from KKM, this one's built by Tom Novak & has his comp:

post-354-1122992701_thumb.jpg

Mine has 3 barrel holes or "TJ ports" that vent thru that slot in the slide. I don't know the weight of the slide but it should be real close to stock G17. Looks about like this BrianH creation for Theo, sorry don't have this angle on my gun:

post-354-1122990133_thumb.jpg

Most of my shooting drills are faster/better points with the Open G17 than with my old Caspian HiCap 38super. [The Caspian had a nicer trigger, with quicker hits on steel & partial targets] The barrel ports & Brian's titanium comp work very well.

Looking at the KKM barrel/comp with Schueman-style full Hybrid holes, that should be even a little more effective - IF you throw away the tiny KKM comp & replace it with a BrianH or Novak comp. That would be more expensive than the way I went. And louder to shoot, possibly needing more powder to make Major.

Eric,

Right on the money. The first picture is what I am thinking about doing to my G17. Problem is I only have the Glock slide and I hear they are prone to cracking (and I have an aversion to slicing up a slide that works fine).

So can I order a Novak Port for the end and put it on the KKM barrel or do I need to send the whole works to Novak and have the comp fitted to the KKM barrel?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark send it out. It will save alot of agrivation. John ( Mad Scientist ) does some great work. Talk with him. He is full of usefull info. I also had a 17 like Erics, but using the glock slide. It worked great!

post-3362-1122997415_thumb.jpg

mleeber if you are going to get a barrel from KKM make sure of the thread size that are on it. Tom doesn't have a tap for the stock KKM threads... I think its 9/16x36. He can single point cut one for those threads though... If you just buy a 34 length barrel for your 17 Tom can cut it and thread it for his comp... BrianH can do the same...

I see you are local to John Nagel aka mad scientist he would be as good as the aforementioned to build your open glock... He makes a great scopemount setup as well for a cmore....