Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do I Build a Spring Jig?

robert.a.brewer.

I just measure the wire diameter and number of coils when I'm confused. If you have a measurement, I can compare to my stock. Factory is typically 16lb. 

I haven't checked the math but this place has an online calculator. Interesting enough, they don't correlate with the Cajun and CZ Custom values.

https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-calculator.html

For example a Cajun 11lb (yellow) comes out to be @3.1lb/in spring rate and 9.6lbF, and a gray (14lb) is 4.3lb/in and 11.7lbF.

1 hour ago, huskerlrrp said:

I just measure the wire diameter and number of coils when I'm confused. If you have a measurement, I can compare to my stock. Factory is typically 16lb. 

I haven't checked the math but this place has an online calculator. Interesting enough, they don't correlate with the Cajun and CZ Custom values.

https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-calculator.html

For example a Cajun 11lb (yellow) comes out to be @3.1lb/in spring rate and 9.6lbF, and a gray (14lb) is 4.3lb/in and 11.7lbF.

thank u for this.?

i measured  my tso springs in mine jig and find that "13 lb"  cz spring  actually ~11 lb and the other "11lb" is actually 9.5 lb

the calculation of this springs perfect. it was that "13lb" cz  spring is 10.6lb and the other  "11lb"  is 8.9lb

the  all aftermarket springs from eemann that i purchased:: 14lb   is actually 14 . and 13 lb is 13lb.

thank u for this.[emoji106]
i measured  my tso springs in mine jig and find that "13 lb"  cz spring  actually ~11 lb and the other "11lb" is actually 9.5 lb
the calculation of this springs perfect. it was that "13lb" cz  spring is 10.6lb and the other  "11lb"  is 8.9lb
the  all aftermarket springs from eemann that i purchased:: 14lb   is actually 14 . and 13 lb is 13lb.
So, I do not need to build a spring jig.
I need to do the calculation instead.

How do you measure the wire diameter?
Another reason to get a good caliper?

In the calculations you need to know how much spring is compressed. The slide cycle will not fully compress the recoil spring. You can multiply the spring rate by compression length to get calculated lb value. This is usually quite close to the measured lb value. Be careful in the spring diameter measurements. A small error will make a big difference in the spring rate.

In the calculations you need to know how much spring is compressed. The slide cycle will not fully compress the recoil spring. You can multiply the spring rate by compression length to get calculated lb value. This is usually quite close to the measured lb value. Be careful in the spring diameter measurements. A small error will make a big difference in the spring rate.
Thanks, but I don't get it just yet.

What is the formula for spring rate?

I assume the rate will be in pounds per inch, and then multiply by inches of compression.

34 minutes ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

What is the formula for spring rate?

I assume the rate will be in pounds per inch, and then multiply by inches of compression.

The link for spring calculation page was supplied few posts ago. It will give you the spring rate. You got the rest right.