Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfection?

In golf you can have a hole in 1. Bowling, a 300 game is perfect. Skeet or trap you can run 25, 50, 100 however many, straight, and that is perfect.

So the question is, what is perfect in IPSC / USPSA?

Can there be such a thing when "Time" is involved?

For me, if I can run a COF the exact way that I visualize it in my mind, hit all the reloads, and have 95% "A" hits, that is perfect.

I think this reinforces the point that IPSC / USPSA is a game against yourself more than it is against others.

But in those other games, those perfect scores can't be beat (hence why they are perfect).

In USPSA...My perfect score could just as easily be stomped into the ground by Max.

There is no "perfect" in USPSA. You can always go faster.

Can you go faster than you are going right now? Another words, since there is always room for improvement, is perfection 100% of your abilities at the moment you are shooting and therfore perfection will change as you do? Then you are chasing a goal that can never be reached.

I guess perfection in IPSC would then be found in the journey, not at the destination.

It's the difference between a game and a sport.  Welcome to sport.

Interesting... hadn't thought of that.

But that leads to this question: since there is, technically, a perfect score attainable over a course of 18 holes in golf (not a single hole, which would be like a single frame of bowling), is it a sport or a game?

:ph34r:

It seems "perfection" is attained in our sport when you win a stage or a match, but, as stated, it isn't perfect perfection.

But that leads to this question: since there is, technically, a perfect score attainable over a course of 18 holes in golf (not a single hole, which would be like a single frame of bowling), is it a sport or a game?

Golf is a game.

In "Legend of Baggar Vance" which was a semi gay movie that I wouldnt recommend renting, Will Smith's character says "this is a game that cant be won, only played" .... maybe IPSC is similiar.

Wanna shoot a perfect score, shoot Bianchi.

Wanna shoot a perfect score, shoot Bianchi.

No one has shot a "possible" at Bianchi yet. (1920-192x), And it is becoming more difficult with the rule changes! :angry:

1920's have been the norm for 15 years now, but the 192x..not yet. But I see your point.

For me, if I can run a COF the exact way that I visualize it in my mind, hit all the reloads, and have 95% "A" hits, that is perfect.

I think this reinforces the point that IPSC / USPSA is a game against yourself more than it is against others.

TT, are you happy with those runs or do you find some aspect that you could improve upon?

This is what makes IPSC the sport it is, in IMHO. What is considered "perfect" now is different than it was 10 years ago which is different than it will be 10 years from today. Constant evolution in technique and improvement.

The "standard" constantly changes. And then someone comes along and sets a new standard.

I understand that 192X is truly perfect, though, I didnt specify an X count. I also have a hard time calling 1920 "the norm".

This is also what I like most about having multiple shooting sports, some are finite, and others not.