Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG 9mm Guard - Magpul Mags a No-Go

Took my new rifle to the range for checkout, factory ammo and Magpul 10 round mags in hand (CA-compliant).  All to easy to hit steel with a red dot and very little recoil, but double feeds with the subject mags.  I contacted CMMG and they recommended Gen 4 Glock mags indicated that with the Magpul mags tend to bulge a bit with the heavy spring tension, but generally not an issue in Glock handguns.  So, I've ordered genuine Glock mags.  My limited experience with CMMG has been very positive so I have not reason to expect problems.  The one unusual aspect of my rifle - I had to purchase the lower and upper separately and the lower was purchased as a stripped lower and a bag of (CMMG) parts.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BartCarter said:

FWIW, I use Magpul 21 round mags in my Guard and have not had any issues.

Well, I'm in CA so despite the exciting news about 21 round Magpul mags I'm stuck with 10 round(ers). 

1 hour ago, sandrooney said:

So when you shoot uspsa matches out there you are limited to 10 rds?

Current legislation bans all >10 round mags, but a judge issued a temporary stay on implementation of that law.  >10 round mags are still illegal except for those in one's possession prior to January 1, 2000 can still be used.  So, the short answer is yes, you can use >10 round magazines as long as you possess them legally, but I don't see anyone checking.  The purpose of these laws is to criminalize gun owners.

And, ammunition must now be purchased through an ammo dealer.  Online purchases must be shipped to an ammo dealer (unless you have an FFL03 and COE).  Legislation in process will apply these same restrictions to "precursor parts" including magazines, barrels, triggers, ....  If you love this country don't live in CA; we are not part of the USA.  Wife and I will be out in 1-2 years max.