Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Question About Dryfire

ParaJoe

In Steve's book it talks about par time. Everything is based off of my par time. How do I know what that is? I made estimated guesses and worked with that this evening until I couldn't do anymore. But I only got to drill 11 working in succession. Am I doing this correctly? Can I more or less pick and choose the drills that I work each day and build a schedule around this? I believe the first 11 will be the starters to anything that I do but what about the rest of them? Thanks for the help.

JOe

I don't have the book in front of me, however if I remember correctly Par time is your current time to perform the drill consistently i.e. the time limit you can perform the drill correctly >90% of the time.

As for the number of drills... It is a workout, and it may take time to be able to perform all of the reps of all the drills you want to practice in a day.

In the preface Steve makes suggestions on what drills to perform and how often.

You are correct. Your baseline time is your current, predictable, repeatable time for each drill in which you can see all A's.

You establish this, then work to improve it by tenths of a second.

Please resist the temptaion to blow tru the drill to lower your par times. It wil be very counter -productive. :)

Let me know if I can help any further.

SA

• 3 weeks later...

This may sound like a stupid question but how many of you who work with Steve Andersons dryfire book, actually keep track of, and log the par times each session?

I find myself just doing the drills, starting out slow and picking up speed.

Thanks,

Michael

I just got the book last week and have read through most of it. Looks like keeping track of the practice sessions will help me, instead of not keeping track of them, and just going through the motions.

But, I shot CM 03-12 in July and see that I am at 100% :huh: Not bad for an "A" shooter :D

c-ya,

barry

This may sound like a stupid question but how many of you who work with Steve Andersons dryfire book, actually keep track of, and log the par times each session?

Thanks,

Michael

I've only had this book for a little while now and have been keeping track of everything. There are a few things that I have added into my rountine because I felt that I was lacking skill in certain areas. I vary the reps of a few exercises also. When I started with it I struggled getting through the first eleven, but they are becoming more of a warm up as I go.

JOe

Thanks,

Michael

I purchased the book a couple of months ago and follow Steves format/ directions to the T and have seen a noticeable improvement in my shooting.

I consider myself an expert on using Steve's book. I have used it for a year and spoken to Steve about it on a couple of occasions. Some quick notes:

1. You cannot do all of the drills at once as specified unless you have 3 to 4 hours available.

2. For most of the last year I divided the drills into four 1-hour sessions. I always start with drill #1 - Sight Picture Index. The plates were always a separate drill after doing #1. The others I divided in varous ways into 3 sets.

3. I would do all four sets each week. So I basically did the book once a week.

4. I estimate I completed this around 35 - 40 times out of the last 52 weeks.

5. I have kept track in the log throughout this time period. I am moving away from that now after having spoken to Steve at the Ohio State match. I attribute a good portion of my improvement over the last year to using Steve's book in this manner. I have gone from a 35% "C" Limited shooter to a 62% "B" shooter and I have goal set to be an "A" by a year from now.