Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

make-up shots

njl

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm a little confused about make-up shots on unlimited scoring scenario stages.

Say a stage procedure requires a certain number of shots to be fired at certain targets, from certain positions, possibly even certain ways (SHO or WHO).  With unlimited scoring, as long as the required shots are fired the required way, additional [make-up] shots can be fired freestyle.  At least that's one thing I learned while shooting my very first match.  At that match, we had a stage that required engaging a target SHO while dragging a dummy with our weak hand.   I was confused when I saw other shooters shoot that target twice SHO, and then additional shots two handed after dropping the dummy.

Another stage required targets to be engaged from certain positions while retreating, and it was declared during our walk-through that as long as we fired those "required shots from the required positions" we could also fire "make-up" shots from close up before beginning the retreat, ensuring that we got the required number of good hits...the required shots didn't even have to hit the targets, because if you fired enough shots close up, you got all your required hits before getting to where the required shots were to be fired from.

So, the question is, what rules apply to make-up shots?  If a target has to be shot from a certain position (either in the open or a position of cover), can make-up shots be fired from "anywhere" the stage doesn't prohibit the shooter from being [before and/or after the required shots are fired]?  If cover is available, does 3.5.2 apply to make-up shots?  If not, other than time, what stops a shooter from charging the target(s) and firing make-ups from nearly contact range after (or even before) firing required shots?  

doesn't really say it in the rules, that i can find, but generally if you've engaged / shot at all the targets as required (strong hand only, dragging a dummy, etc) and from where required you can take "normal" make up shots, including from other positions.

3.2.7 Target engagement penalties shall not apply in the following cases:
C. Targets may be re-engaged from other shooting positions provided the shooter does not break the defined Muzzle Safe Points see section 2.9.

the 'other shooting positions' would preclude you from running up and firing contact shots at a target unless of course that was legal when you originally engaged the target.  and by saying 're-engaged' that means you first have to legally engage each of the targets.

11 hours ago, njl said:

Another stage required targets to be engaged from certain positions while retreating, and it was declared during our walk-through that as long as we fired those "required shots from the required positions" we could also fire "make-up" shots from close up before beginning the retreat, ensuring that we got the required number of good hits...

That sounds pretty hokey.  I agree with davsco, you are permitted to reengage AFTER engaging targets according to the CoF.  Shooting the targets before executing the CoF requirement would not be allowed anyplace I have been.