Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Thumb rest ?

shoots100

Being I'm left handed and have big mitts, I'm finding that my support hand thumb is interfering with my trigger finger and/or the cylinder when I'm gripping my 617.

When I shoot my 929, My right hand thumb is placed behind the right side cylinder shroud, with my left hand thumb on top of it. A half ass'd stacked thumb grip that works well for me.  

When I try this method with my 617, my right hand thumb will rub on the cylinder, because the cylinder shroud doesn't extend out past the cylinder.

Being that my thumbs are positioned on the right side of the pistol, there's a lot of real estate to mount some type of thumb rest/shroud extension onto the side plate.

I read the rimfire rules and can't find anything that says it can't be done,  but I still couldn't confirm if it would be illegal to have some type of thumb rest/ shroud extension to stop my thumb from hitting the cylinder on my 617.

What says the officials here ?

You're talking about Rimfire steel challenge rules? 

I have seen many RFPI guns with thumb rests at majors. From what I can tell, anything is free game in RFPI except dots and comps.

I'm a lefty too,  although I don't see much difference in the real estate between sides of the revolver? Just lock that right hand thumb down over the grip hand thumb...problem solved? It's the same grip I used when I shot pistol. Was never fond of the grip du jour of dangling thumbs floating alongside the frame/slide of a pistol. Always wished I had six fingers on each hand instead of five....two more to wrap around the grip and hold the gun?

On the left side (opposite the cylinder release) of a revolver, there's a whole bunch of real estate.

Like I said, I have big mitt's. 

I have a high grip, so when I grip the 617, I cover the pistol and my support thumb inadvertently hits the cylinder , or when I grip lower with my support hand, my trigger finger.

I have no problem with my 929. I can draw and shoot with no issues.

When I'm shooting my 617, Even from the low position, I have to make a concerted effort to get a proper grip and it's screwing me up.

I found and bought a used side plate, so now I can do some testing and hopefully make it work.

SJC

Have you out tried rolling your thumbs down? I have a high grip as well, so high that I can't shoot a gun with a spur on the hammer. Rolling your thumbs down and on top of one another allows you to grip the gun much harder since your hands are closed, not open like an auto/thumb rest grip.

I only shot my 617 at steel practice tonight.

I stacked my thumbs and kept my right thumb right between the cylinder and the trigger.

I have to make a mental note to do it each time though and my support hand thumb was getting ahead of the cylinder.

Now I wear a thin kevlar/leather glove on my right hand to avoid burning my thumb in case it gets ahead of the cylinder.

Thanks for the advice.

Once I get a side plate that fit's, I'll be able to make some type of rest and be golden.

I figured the larger X grip would take care of it, but it didn't.

This gun wasn't made for shooters with big hands,  but I'll get it to fit me one way or another.

SJC