Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness P-Match or P-Match Pro; Legal for IDPA/USPSA?

Canoetripper

Background:
I want to get into competition shooting with USPSA and IDPA (both are local for me). I am a little overwhelmed by the gun categories nuances--especially IDPA. Currently, I have a S/A XDS in 9mm (my carry gun) and an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Full Size in 10mm. I absolutely LOVE shooting my Witness, but I think competition shooting in 10mm would get really expensive, really quickly.

Question:
Can anyone tell me if the Witness P Match and P Match Pro are legal for USPSA or IDPA, and in which categories? I think they are really sexy and would love to give one a try. However, I do not see either on the USPSA production gun list, and it appears from the specs on EAA's site that they would BARELY fit into the IDPA box. 

Links:
http://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-p-match-tanfoglio-404
http://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-p-match-pro-tanfoglio-410

Thanks in advance!

Background:
I want to get into competition shooting with USPSA and IDPA (both are local for me). I am a little overwhelmed by the gun categories nuances--especially IDPA. Currently, I have a S/A XDS in 9mm (my carry gun) and an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Full Size in 10mm. I absolutely LOVE shooting my Witness, but I think competition shooting in 10mm would get really expensive, really quickly.

Question:
Can anyone tell me if the Witness P Match and P Match Pro are legal for USPSA or IDPA, and in which categories? I think they are really sexy and would love to give one a try. However, I do not see either on the USPSA production gun list, and it appears from the specs on EAA's site that they would BARELY fit into the IDPA box. 

Links:
http://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-p-match-tanfoglio-404
http://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-p-match-pro-tanfoglio-410

Thanks in advance!

Look at the Production gun list on the USPSA website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not on the USPSA production list. I am wondering in what categories they CAN be used. Thx!

Sorry — Read the complete post before posting.

Cannot speak to IDPA.

Looked at EAA Witness on their website. Assuming your witness is a Witness Full Sized Steel Frame. If so Limited/L-10. Need to hand load and try to get near a 170 PF. And, you’re right it would be expensive. Ensure you get all your brass after each stage.

Since the XD subcompact models are list, I cannot see why the XD-S isn’t on the production list. It won’t be competitive in Production but it would give you good practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, GeneBray. I think I will just bite the bullet and find myself a Glock 34. They seem to be universally accepted for competing, and there are plenty of Glock fans should I ever want to re-sell it. As to the Witness P-Matches...I dug a little deeper and Tanfoglio’s website lists different dimensions than EAA’s website, and Tanfoglio lists them as longer than the IDPA box. EAA has not responded to my e-mail asking where the truth lies with size. As you surmised, my full-size Witness 10mm is steel framed, so it could work if I decide to start reloading, but first I need to start competing ?

With a Glock 34, you can shoot Production right out of the box.  With mods like a mag well, Limited/L-10. If you want to red dot and comp it, Open.  Mill or dove tail mount a red dot Carry Optics.  

Since you have a Witness, I urge you to look at a CZ 75 SP01.  It would need trigger work, some springs replaced, and internal polishing most of which you can do.  Would get CZ Custom, Cajun Gun Works, or Matthew Mink at Automatic Accuracy to do the trigger job.  Normal DA is 7-9 lbs. with SA around 4+.  Trigger jobs and springs you can get the DA to 4 1/4 and SA starting a just over 1 lb. to 3 to 4 lbs.  Mine is at 2 lbs. 3 or 4 oz.  The SP01 with all the work will be cheaper than the $1,300 or more full race ready Production guns and will shoot as well.  There is a ton of customization you can do to the pistol and keep it USPSA Production legal.

A great person to contact on Tanfoglios/EAA is Henning Wallgren, at Henning Shoots Guns (https://www.henningshop.com).  Great guy, sells a ton of stuff for Tanfoglio pistols for USPSA competition and is GM using them.  Great source of information and help.  Unless you want to spend a lot of money at the start, look for SP01s or one of the EAA/Tanfoglio pistols at the mid- to lower price range that is a DA/SA pistol.  If you want to shoot limited/limited 10 go with one of the SA CZ or EAA/Tanfoglios.  If will pay off when it comes to shooting your 10mm

The Glock G34 may well be cheaper, but you will have to get trigger work done on it and even then the best Glock trigger doesn't compare to CZ SA triggers at around 1-2 lbs, no over travel, and quick reset.  (My opinion and not trying to start a discussion on what is the best trigger.)

I am still shooting my SP01 after 67k rnds. and 7 years. Trigger job, competition hammer, low profile fixed sights, and thin aluminum grips.  I did internal polishing and springs my self.  All the money I saved went to ammo for practice and/or matches and training.

Last item, at last years nationals for Production, CZ accounted for 37% of the pistols, Glock 12%,, Sig 9%, Springfield and Walter 6%.  I think there is a typo in the chart for Tanfoglios.  It says 37% but the bar is significantly shorter than CZ.  And, it you total all the pistols listed, top total is 107%. Suspect the Tanfoglio is really 30%.  CZ Shadow and Shadow 2 amounted to 27% of the CZs, Tanfoglio Stock 2s 17%, and Glock 34s 9% of the pistols.

Hope this helps.  Again, my apology for not reading more carefully. 

31 minutes ago, Canoetripper said:

GeneBray...THANK YOU for the gold mine of info! I will let this soak-in for a few days before I take action. Again, much appreciated!

Why the P (polymer) series guns which are lighter than the metal guns (twice the weight of a Glock, & weight soaks up recoil) and are a pain to work on internally?

If you want to play in IDPA SSP and in Production? Look at the new version of the Limited Pro about to come out, or at a Stock 1.

Edited by MemphisMechanic