Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best Holster

sps

hi all,

what do you think would make the best holster (belt, outside the pants) for S&W 586 in 4"?

I'm considering the Kramer Belt Scabbard, the Desantis Speed Scabbard and maybe Milt Sparks 55bn.

Does anybody have experience with these holsters? If so, What are the pros and cons of each one and do you have any other alternatives?

sorry, i should have been more specific. although this is not my primary gun I'm going to use it as a carry gun. it will not be used for any sport or other activity other than carry gun. It doesn't have to be 100% "invisible" (concealment is not a requirement where i come from). oh, and i love the "high-ride" and the slight forward "FBI tilt", i think it is very comfortable position to carry a large firearm.

Sps, I like my Fist leather holster.

It is made for an N frame but I think I saw one available for the smaller guns too.

there are options for the first holster, mine is a fbi cant like you describe with a reinforced opening on top for stiffness (no snap) it "clicks" in around the trigger guard like a Kydex.

good luck,

Hopalong

hi all,

what do you think would make the best holster (belt, outside the pants) for S&W 586 in 4"?

I'm considering the Kramer Belt Scabbard, the Desantis Speed Scabbard and maybe Milt Sparks 55bn.

Does anybody have experience with these holsters? If so, What are the pros and cons of each one and do you have any other alternatives?

sps - I carry a 4" 681 on occasion, and use a Dillon Master. I use the same style for my K and N frames. They're like the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. The Dillon holsters now come with 1-1/2" belt slots, vice the 1-3/4" for the DeSantis. Since I use 1-1/2" wide belts, this matters to me.

I also have a Rusty Sherrick "High Ride Double Loop" for my 4" K frames; it's very similar to the Sparks 55BN. It's not as concealable as the pancake holsters, but since that's not an issue for you, it's worth looking into. http://www.c-rusty.com I have Milt Sparks holsters for my bottomfeeders, but I don't like the designs they over for round guns. Both of these makers have a 3+ month wait, but unlike a lot of firearms accessory companies, they don't charge your card until they ship.

thanks revchuck. I had a look on the Dillom Master and it looks like a very nice option. Are you sure they only come in 1.5" belt slots? my favorite belt is 1.75" wide and i wouldn't like to change it just for the holster. I e-mailed them asking them about the belt slot size, and I'll see what they're answer is (it doen't say on the site what the belt slot size is).

sps

thanks revchuck. I had a look on the Dillom Master and it looks like a very nice option. Are you sure they only come in 1.5" belt slots? my favorite belt is 1.75" wide and i wouldn't like to change it just for the holster. I e-mailed them asking them about the belt slot size, and I'll see what they're answer is (it doen't say on the site what the belt slot size is).

sps

I bought one a few years ago for my K frames and it had 1-3/4" slots; the one I got for my 681 a couple of months ago has 1-1/2" slots. I think the DeSantis one comes with 1-3/4" slots, and are about equal in quality and come in other colors than black.

hi all, just ordered a Kramer belt scabbard in horsehide (the cowhide comes only in 1-1/2" and i needed 1-3/4"). costed me way more than i can afford now but you know how these things work....

BTW, the guy at the customer service recommended that if i live in a humid area (i do) to get the horsehide and not the cowhide. Is there any particular reason?

i originally ordered the cowhide but since i was informed by Kramer that they do not make the cowhide in belt slots bigger than 1-1/2" since, according to them (and I'll take their word for it even though i do not understand why) the cowhide is not strong enough to support a holster with 1-3/4 slots. could someone please enlighten me on this one?

In fact, could someone explain why (if at all) horsehide is better than cowhide and when should one go for the horsehide and not for the cowhide?

• 1 month later...