Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm single stack brass denting problem...

ans3288

hi guys.

i have experienced two 9mm case failures during a span of 20k thousand rounds. a portion of the blast cameout at the portion before the rim of the case. causing a catastrophic failure of gun locking up and cannot cycle the slide but gun was still ok after i was able to eject the blowm case.

the bullet had enough force to be pushed out of the barrel.

my question is... what are poasible causes of my case failure? i am loading obp462 3.1grain 1.12"oal 135grain lead bullets.

could it be too fast burning powder, too low bullet head seating? also i am taking a look at brass pickedup from the range. i have seen the following "dents" at where the case failure happened. i am running an aftec extractor. any wild theories appreciated.

20180318_222255.jpg

Edited by ans3288
inserted picture

Can't tell for sure, but if a little bit of the rim is missing in line with the dents it's possible the ejector is causing the dents.  As the brass is the thickest in that area of the dents I'd think you probably had a couple of cases that were just "worn out" and finally gave up.

9mm brass is so common now there is no way to tell if it's once fired or reloaded 20x by the time you pick it up.  Possibly been shot at major open loads a few times also...

As far as the dent, possibly being pushed into the extractor?  is the extractor in spec?  if it is a little to far from the breech face and getting pushed into the case during ignition sounds like a possible explanation of this...  Same thing could be caused by excessive headspace and case getting pushed back?  hard to tell, but those seem reasonable.

Barring it's just a fluke and those 2 cases had enough, i would check headspace/proper lockup and the extractor.

Edited by DsWright

8 hours ago, DsWright said:

9mm brass is so common now there is no way to tell if it's once fired or reloaded 20x by the time you pick it up.  Possibly been shot at major open loads a few times also...

As far as the dent, possibly being pushed into the extractor?  is the extractor in spec?  if it is a little to far from the breech face and getting pushed into the case during ignition sounds like a possible explanation of this...  Same thing could be caused by excessive headspace and case getting pushed back?  hard to tell, but those seem reasonable.

Barring it's just a fluke and those 2 cases had enough, i would check headspace/proper lockup and the extractor.

thank you. happened in a big match so you can guess what i felt after it happened. lol