Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flinching

cep

To the advice about loading a dummy round in the mag.

I would be very careful about doing this because the "push" that you see when the gun doesn't fire is not always a flinch. You have a flinch and then you have compensating for recoil (exerting the force needed to return the gun to your point of aim). The difference in time for these is in the hundreths of seconds. A flinch happens before the gun fires, and compensating for recoil happens after the gun fires.

For this reason I would not trust loading dummy rounds into the mag.

What I would do to get rid of a flinch:

1) Load up your gun and shoot at the berm as quickly as you can. What ends up happening is you actually cannot flinch as fast as you can shoot. Eventually you will stop and actually start seeing the sights lift.

2) The main thing that causes flinching is the actual sound of the gunshot. Double-plugging (with ear plugs and then muffs) works wonders.

3) The last thing I would do is just load up the gun, point into the target, close your eyes and fire a few rounds. Feel the recoil go through your arms, shoulders, etc. Realize it doesn't hurt and had no adverse effects on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Since your shooting in a club ... use their ammo to fix your problem! Wait till someone else is shooting stand near them (safely out of the way) but looking in another direction preferable at a light colored blank wall. I do this at most matches if I'm flinching . you can also put your hands into the shooting position and focus on not blinking to really get the feel of it.

I'm sure someone else already mentioned double plugging your ears.

best of luck

• 4 weeks later...

I am late to this thread but......

1 I think your problem will go away with time as you become one with the gun...corny but true.

2 There is one product from a leading glock parts store (forgot which one) that is a drop in for dry firing a glock that resets without cycling the slide...this should allow you to practice the trigger stoke easier. You will have to take it out to live fire but it would speed things up alot. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
sir aerosigns, i have an airsoft blowback pistol, what exercises should i do to help me lessen my flinching?

There's really nothing special to do with an airsoft pistol to help flinching, except shoot a lot. Since it has no recoil, you'll be training your brain and hands not to flinch when you pull the trigger. It's also an excellent tool to work on only pulling the trigger far enough to fire, rather than pinning it to the guard.

I have a GBB pistol that racks the slide each shot, and with a firm grip, the sights don't even move, except front to back. Dryfire will also train your brain and hands not to move while shooting. The important thing is to dryfire/airsoft fire about 20/1 versus live ammo.

H.