Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pitching brass

tomjerry1

I have an issue, maybe not? this will be my first year in Open, and I have a lot to learn. I will be using a Caspian 38 SC gun, 5" KKM barrel, three port comp, no popples, no slide lightening. I have settled on 10.2 gr AA#7, HAP 125, OAL 1.230"(1400 fps), 10# recoil and 17# mainspring. It has been brought to my attention that the gun is throwing my brass to far? 8 to 10 feet about 3:30 to 4 o'clock position, is this really a concern? I have zero problems with ejection, doesn't hit the scope mount on it's way out? I am still going to try a 11 and 12# spring to control the muzzle flip, on a double tap, the second round is high. Any input will be appreciated. 

Power Factor is 175, was a little concerned, but this is where the comp is really working. Right now when I double tap, the second shot is high, so from everything I've read and heard, I need to go a little higher weight on the recoil spring. I guess after shooting limited loads at 900 fps, this will take a little getting use to. The gun is jonnie on the spot, about an inch difference on impact from 10 to 35 yds. 

14 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Power Factor is 175, was a little concerned, but this is where the comp is really working. Right now when I double tap, the second shot is high, so from everything I've read and heard, I need to go a little higher weight on the recoil spring.

I doubt that is the case, but you can try it.  My guess is your gun is lifting excessively and you are chasing the wrong thing. 

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

So, maybe reduce my load? Then deal with springs?

I would just shoot the set up you have now to get used to the timing. The high second shot could be you pushing the gun up after it recovers from the first shot. 

I like the 9lb recoil spring and 17lb main spring in my set up.