Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100?11-87?X2?

Ronnie j

I've shooting 3 gun mathes with my pump I'm shopping for a auto loader. I know that the winchester has most of what I'm looking for, but I need to know what  difference is in the 1100 and the 1187  so I can compare.

The Benelli is out due to recoil operation .

I've shooting 3 gun mathes with my pump I'm shopping for a auto loader. I know that the winchester has most of what I'm looking for, but I need to know what  difference is in the 1100 and the 1187  so I can compare.

The Benelli is out due to recoil operation .

I've used all of the shotguns in 3-gun matches that you mentioned.  My favorite is the Winchester Practical.  However, the break-in time (at least for me and others I know) has been excruciatingly long.  I am the only one, out of four, who still has an X2.  The only problem (the most important problem) was reliability; it wouldn't function with light to moderate loads.  I had to lock back the bolt for over a month just to get it to work semi-reliable.  I used a synthetic grease and applied it liberally to the action during the first months of shooting.  Nine months later, I can shoot all but the lightest loads and it functions 100%.  It is the perfect "factory" 3-gun shotgun.  I'm glad I didn't sell it right away for it's a keeper.    The Remingtons will require a magazine extention as will the Benelli. The X2 comes with a one piece, 8 round tube, from the factory.  It is also much easier to disassemble/reassemble than some of the others.  Every shotgun you mentioned has its merits and negative traits.  

(Edited by impact10 at 9:41 am on Sep. 2, 2002)

(Edited by impact10 at 9:43 am on Sep. 2, 2002)

I have been shooting an 11-87 for quite a while and I just learned the other night that the only difference between an 11-87 and a 1100 is that in 1987, Remington modified the 1100 to be able to shoot 3in shells. Thats it. Its on Remington's web site.

I don't understand why an 1100 is more expensive than an 11-87 though.

It appears to me that most 3-gunners are using the Remmington.  There are more aftermaket parts for the Rem. at the present time. The difference between the 1100 and 11-87 is in the gas system where the 11-87 is self adjusting.  I have an 1100 with a JP comp and porting.  All I had to do was enlarge the gas ports till it would work reliably with all the ammo I use.  My buddy has an 11-87 with the same JP comp and porting.  There are more mods to the gas ports in the 11-87 barrel if you want to make it an open gun.  The nice thing (on either gun) is if I want to put it back to stock all I have to do is replace the barrel.  All of the mods and optic are on the barrel.  

Thanks for all the help guys ,I'm now looking for an 1100 I think. I've also heard of the reliablity of the Benellis ,unless it's got a sidesaddle, unless you shot to light of a load, unless youv'e got such a good hold on the thing It won't recoil enough to cycle. I thinks a used 1100 sounds like the ticket .

Thanks again

Hi Ronnie: Owned a 1100 and found it unreliable - and it broke with hard use. I now have had the Super X2 for 8 months and agree 100% w/ impact10 (good post!). My X2 has the original everything - nothing is modified on it because nothing needs to be enlarged/modified; it works as-is.

In limited class, I'd look for a used super X2. In Open class, I think the Browning Gold Field is a better deal at about $600 to 700 and then have JP or another reputable gunsmith do the mods you feel are best for open class.

On the other hand, as far as shooting qualities go the 1100s appear just as competitive as the Winchester when they work and there are a few more parts for the Rem - if you feel you need to add parts for a competitive advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not shot any 3 gun events.

I have been dove hunting.

When the birds are flying you can wear a gun out.

My old super X 1 has not let me down for almost 20 years.

It still has all the same parts that it came with.

It has a real smooth action, but it is heavy.

It does give me out carrying it around on a rabbit hunt.

(Edited by rooster24 at 6:12 pm on Sep. 16, 2002)

I haven’t had any problems with my used 1100 that I bought 4 years ago. I use it for 3-gun all the way to hunting doves and any thing you can think of between.  The only thing I have added to it has been an extended mag tube, fiber optic sights and a 21” deer barrel.  And the only part I have broken was the extractor and that was in a firestorm of doves and the only reason I think that broke is because it was time to. So you be the judge as to what you want to spend your hard-earned money on.

Tim3gun:

Wow you just said that Eric Miller, Kelly Neal, Jim Clark, and a host of others just won't get better if they use 1100s. That would be fine by me except that these are the guys that are winning. Colt 1911 was fast over all on a stage last year at Mesa with a fairly stock 1100!!! Yep I guess its time to can all those winning 1100s and go to something else!!! I myself am a Benelli Shooter and also have won my share of 3 gun matches, but it is serious work when a GOOD 1100 shoter comes along. I guess I myself wouldn't diss the 1100/11-87 because colt1911 is sooooo damn big.       KURT

tim3gun,

My shooting buddy placed 4th in Open Shotgun at the 3 gun nationals shooting an 1187.  I don't see any "D" class shooters around his name, looks more like G, G, G, U (my buddy), G, G, M, M.  I finish 22nd, out of 115 open competitors, shooting an 1100.  The highest placing D was in 63rd.  Maybe you should be a little more open minded in your Remington position?

choise?

• 2 weeks later...

I am no expert, but let me share what happened to me. I started w/ a Benelli M90 pistol grip shotgun.  Way high on the coolness chart and I loved the pistol grip. But the darn thing wouldn't cycle light loads. This last weekend at the Tucson 3gun was the last straw. After messing up my son in his first shotgun stage, we switched to a heavy load. It cycled OK, but tons of recoil. After the match I traded it in on a Winchester Super X2 Practical. Go to the Winchester sight and read the article about the fastest shotgun in the world.

I have two friends (both of which beat me in Tucson) that shoot Remingtons. One 1100 and one 1187. They are easy to trick out, but the one problem I see, that they admit to, is the load release button that must be pushed by each shell loaded. There is a replacement gate for that, I think. The Winchester doesn't have that problem.

The problem w/ the Super X2 is the price. I see there is a new-in-the-box X2 for $825 or so on Gunbroker.com. An 1100 or 1187 can be bought and tricked out much cheaper.

I hope this X2 works out for me. Have only fired 20 rnds so far. So far, so good.

Dirk

I bought the Super X2 for the "ready to go outta the box" factor in limited. It is, like the nearly identical Browning Gold, a great gun; when new leave its action locked open for 3 or 4 weeks to break it in.

The Remington can work just as well though if bought new it requires extra parts like an extended magazine (5 shots is not enough for USPSA work). It is also cheaper to buy. I'd avoid the Benneli due to heavy recoil, but some people shoot them just fine in competition.

Ronnie,

The difference between the 1100 and 11/87 is that the 11/87 is a newer updated version of the 1100 and is supposed to be stronger/reliable than the 1100.

The 11/87 is definitely the way forward re PSG shooting. I have a fully customised SPS model, extended safety, large cocking handle, muzzel brake, Speedfeed (short) pistol grip stock to ease fast mounting. Easyloaders are an after market gizmo that will allow rounds to be slid in without messing with the small bolt relase catch. A guy on our circuit make extended mags for them and mine will take 15 65mm rounds. I am currently getting it electroless nickle plated cos I like shiny things, but leaving the top of the battel rib black.

The only drawback with these guns is that they were not designed for PSG hard usage and brake very often. In an average comp on the UK circuit out of 40 guns at the comp at least one or more will brake, and its usually the gas ring etc. Everyone carries spares and its something you have to live with.

But they are the best gun for the job and I wouldn't go for anything else. I originally bought a 870 express  but havn't taken it out of the safe for the last two years!!

The top shooters in the UK with only one exception use them and Benellis, mossberg, browning etc hardly figure in the list.  

Remy 11/87 all the way!!!