Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mininum Spring Weight For 1911

EricBudd

My wife is getting interested in competition shooting (I shoot USPSA and IDPA) and we have started to look for a gun for her. Because of her hand size and the lack of finger groves, she likes the single stack 1911 but she has problems manipulating the slide.

She doesn't have a problem with the recoil on my 14.45 (16 pound recoil spring), but she just can't rack the slide easly. What is the lightest combination of recoil spring/main spring that I can use on a gun for her that won't batter the gun or compromise reliability.

She has considered a 9mm 1911 or 38 super but I don't reload those and it would put her at a scoring disadvantege in USPSA. She is also looking at a CZ 85 combat in 9mm as an option, but she doesn't like the idea of manually decocking the gun in production.

I also began using a lighter-weight lube oil for the 1911's moving parts that made slide-racking easier, the gun easier to clean and pruduced fewer jams and false starts during matches and even during practice sessions. Made a BIG heck-of-a difference.

Use a 17# mainspring, and a 12.5# recoil spring. I've used a 10# (by accident) before, and didn't notice anything bad about it...but I didn't use it for long.

Also, it will be easier to rack the slide if your wife cocks the hammer first. Practical at LAMR, but not so in the middle of a stage when she gets a "click!".

DD

For me, right now, it's a 12lb Sprinco in my .40 Trojan. 14 and 16 flip too much. 10lb works, but feels a little harsh. Just burning some rounds in the berm, I didn't notice a performance difference between it and the 12, just feel. Someday, I'll work between them w/ a timer... 12 is real easy for me to rack, and I do cock the hammer first...

• 1 month later...

One method of choosing a spring in an article written by dave Koebensky of W.C. Wolff Co. & Brownells GunTechs says:

"A fair indicator is how far from the shooter the ejected cases land. Less than three feet you may indicate the need for a lighter spring, while more than six feet may indicate the need for a heavier spring. Keep in mind too light a spring may result in damage to your pistol."