Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Shooting Open

Jasonub

Hi guys,

Im in the process of building a 9 mm open pistol.

what does a flat shooing open pistol mean?

does this mean that the dot does not move much when a shot is fired?

or does this mean that the dot does not leave the scope lens in recoil?

how high should the dot lift?

thanks a lot

It's all subjective. No gun shoots entirely flat but it generally means that the amount of muzzle flip is low. But truth be told the correct grip/stance affects the amount of muzzle flip far more than most gun designs.

As to the amount of movement of the dot, it depends on the type of scope. The higher the scope sits on the gun the more the perceived movement of the dot within the lens.

What is more important is that the movement of the dot should be consistent. It is better to have a dot that moves a lot but straight up and down, than a dot that moves a little but performs a kind of spiral twisty type motion that makes it hard to track.

To reduce the muzzle-flip, work on the grip and stance, find out what works for you. Everyone has a different stance and grip as it is dependent on your body shape and strenghts. Lightening the slide will reduce the reciprocating mass (the back and forwards motion) that contributes a lot to muzzle flip.

holding dead on the "A" in the A zone a 170 power factor super comp in my gun rises to the charlie/bravo perf on the target.

I think when im actually shooting my fastest it doesnt rise that much though..