Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Mass VS Velocity

MedicAJ

So...

Hypothetical...1 1/8oz 7.5 going 1300fps or 1oz 7.5 going 1350fps.  Physics tells us that velocity has more effect on energy than mass, but what's everybody's practical experience?  For either clays or KO steel.  

Andy

I feel for steel heavier/slower loads work better because more total weight to start with and lower velocity generally leads to denser patterns. faster loads generally seem to spread quicker so there could be an advantage there on clays.  This assumes all else equal, and is what I have experienced

Edited by RJH

Kinetic energy is equal to 0.5 times mass times velocity squared, but kinetic enegy doesn't have a real directionality to it.

Momentum is the product of mass times velocity and it assumes the mass is moving in a straight line.

So momentum may be more relevant to knocking things over.

Many pistol shooters who are trying to flip an MGM spinner go to heavier loads, probably for the higher momentum.

Looking at white box Winchester 9 mm:

115 gr at 1190 has a muzzle energy of 362 but a momentum of 136,850 (gr x ft/sec)

124 gr at 1140 has a muzzle energy of 358 but a momentum of 141,360

147 gr at 990 has a muzzle energy of 320 but a momentum of 145,530

And I once saw a guy shooting .45 ACP wearing a Tee shirt that read "sometimes fat, slow and heavy gets the job done".......