Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open/limited holster for 3 gun

TheStagePlan

So I recently picked up my Limcat 5.5 inch gun that I had built for 3gun/uspsa limited Minor. I was looking into having a custom kydex holster built but the lead times were 6 weeks. So I am currently looking for a good open style holster that has a quick and easy lock to engage and disengage.

thanks for you help 

9E63BD57-2742-458C-920C-7A5A70A08F59.jpeg

Cr speed, totally adjustable and works with different guns / lengths.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

I’m using the CR Speed WSM 2 holster in USPSA Open. I’ve used a Safariland 014 in USPSA Limited division and a custom Kydex with a Safariland SLS hood for 3 gun.

For 3 gun the kydex with SLS is WAY more secure than the open division type holsters. I have had no worries about losing my pistol from the 3 gun holster I have, but I have had a couple of holster failures with the Safariland (eg the little nub that goes in the muzzle broke) causing the gun to fall out of the holster and onto the ground. Both times that happened the gun was unloaded, so no DQ. That being said, I don’t trust the Safariland. So far the CR Speed has not had any failures, but the locking mechanism on that seems a little weak as I can pull thru the lock. I suppose it’s designed that way, but I feel like a stronger locking mechanism would make me
Feel more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Personally a racemaster/alpha x magnetic block is more secure than safari land or kydex for me when locked.

but more importantly that’s a sweet blaster, haven’t seen many of those

Thanks Drew 

I was looking into the alphax how is it to re holster and lock ?  I used a 014 with my Zev glock for multi gun and never had to re holster but I did hate when I started with the rifle only to run down to the pistol portion and struggle with the lock on the safariland 014 

I’m not a 3 gun person so I don’t have a ton of experience regolstering on the clock (if that’s required) but from my experience with the magnetic blocks is that it’s super easy to hit the holster with the trigger guard, and once that happens your middle finger can lock it solid without changing or moving your grip on the gun.  You’ll know whether it’s good to go or not the instant it hits vs the unsure feeling of whether it’s locked on the 014.

I wouldn’t say it’s as easy as getting the muzzle into a kydex and then dropping the gun “Home” but I wouldn’t do that anyway.

I would rather run with a gun locked in a double alpha magnetic block than in a kydex holster without actual means of locking retention.

the magnetic block in the alpha x vs the racemaster is the same, the difference is in ease of adjustability and orientation of the gun with said piece of aluminum housing for the magnetic block.  

As as far as drawing from the locked position, if I know it’s locked it probably costs me .05 sec from a scoop draw but is the same time if I’m ensuring a solid grip on the gun.  

I oroginally was worried about it being secure but have zero concern with it now and you just automatically check the lock anytime you touch the gun while it’s holstered

Thanks looks like I’m going to switch over to a double alpha rig completely. I’m currently using a els setup with safariland belt along with there shotgun caddy’s looks like there is no what To use the caddy’s with els on the double alpha belt and also looks like there is no way to mount els on the race master mag pouches.