Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry-firing

JP.308

I've heard others say to practice dry-firing your handgun. I have been doing that and it has proven to be a great help when I arrive and begin seeing my shooting improve. Is this in any way harmful to the gun - I have a XD40.

Is there any kind of gun that it is harmful with (rimfire, shotgun, handgun, rifle, etc.) and if so which ones.

Thanks!!!

Dryfire is an excellent way to improve your shooting skills. I would however suggest not dryfiring on a rimfire. Repeated strikes will eventually damage the chamber of the gun, unless you are using a snap cap.

Thanks!!!

The post was very helpful.

I wish I had the time and money to shoot more as well - who doesn't???

But I think that what all of you are saying is to keep dry-firing, but after maybe a few thousand times of dry-fire and live fire to check your pin and replace it.

Is this correct?

Thanks!!! ;)

JP,

That's correct. You can buy the pins for something like a buck a piece from an XD armorer. I'm going to have some in hand here in about a week and will probably have a 20 pack for sale at an attractive price. Just chuck the roll pin periodically and everything will be fine.

E

...yeah it doesn't do much good to dry fire for me unless the striker is set.

Can one install their own pin pretty easily or would I need to take it to a gunsmith?

Any particular way to practice with dry firing - and when I do I assume it's best to dry fire without the clip in the gun. Aslo, (with dry fire) do you rack the slide all the way and let it slam or do you simply rack it enough so it cocks the striker?

Thanks!!!

• 3 months later...

I've talked to the S&W tech dept and they said you can dry fire their new revolvers. I fired my 686p 4" hundreds of times with no problems. Good practice for double action shooting. However I still have not mastered the double action firing with live rounds yet. But I'm alot better today than I was a year ago when I fired my first DA revolver.

I've talked to the S&W tech dept and they said you can dry fire their new revolvers. I fired my 686p 4" hundreds of times with no problems. Good practice for double action shooting. However I still have not mastered the double action firing with live rounds yet. But I'm alot better today than I was a year ago when I fired my first DA revolver.

I have shot revolver and auto for 15 + years some of my revolvers have close to 20,000 dry fires DA on them with no problems, my older 610 held up very good but it does not group like it used to the newer 627 is softer metal and the cilinder in rolling a bit, it is posible by spining the cilyinder in fast dry fire that the locking pin hammers the notch when it locks in. I fyou make some dummy rounds with very heavy bullets =it will slow the cilyinder. I made some with two 158 grain bullets in each case. You should be able to feal the difrence.

I have shot revolver and auto for 15 + years some of my revolvers have close to 20,000 dry fires DA on them with no problems, my older 610 held up very good but it does not group like it used to the newer 627 is softer metal and the cilinder in rolling a bit, it is posible by spining the cilyinder in fast dry fire that the locking pin hammers the notch when it locks in. I fyou make some dummy rounds with very heavy bullets =it will slow the cilyinder. I made some with two 158 grain bullets in each case. You should be able to feal the difrence.

That's a good idea. I hope to live long enough to be able to get in 20,00 dry fires.