Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 grendel options

blacklab

I'm going to put together a 6.5 over the winter that's going to be used more or less for a plinker when me and a few friends go shoot 600 or more yards. I would like to keep it as close as possible as my 3 gun AR set up, but I don't know a lot about them. Can a low mass bolt, gutted buffer and adjustable gas block be used on a 6.5? And can a standard buffer spring be used with a rifle length tube? I'm not sure if it matters to answer my questions but it going to have a 18" barrel. 

Edited by blacklab

Stick with standard mass stuff for the 6.5G. The low mass stuff isnt go to be of any benefit for the activity you describe in OP....

Different trigger may be good. Decent break. Comfy stock. Bipod. Etc.

43 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

Stick with standard mass stuff for the 6.5G. The low mass stuff isnt go to be of any benefit for the activity you describe in OP....

Different trigger may be good. Decent break. Comfy stock. Bipod. Etc.

I was going to go with a CMC flat trigger, Ace stock and an m4-72 break. I thought with the low mass stuff might help keep the recoil down. That's the stet up I have on my 3 gun set up and it's a dream to shoot. 

While a low mass, adjustable gb setup can work, I agree that if you're not in competition it's likely not worth the additional cost. 

That said, I'm planning a Grendel upper build for plinking and maybe hunting, and might just use my low mass carrier with a new bolt. Then of course I would get an adjustable gb, which would be the only added cost. Since I'm thinking a budget setup, a Wojtek agb is almost the same price as fixed. 

The carbine spring in a rifle length receiver extension is a no go. Just spend $15 and get a rifle length spring. 

I've shot two JP Grendels with low mass systems and a parts gun with a standard weight parts. All had AGB's. The low mass guns had a snappier, less pleasant recoil impulse but the reticle moved less and spotting hits/misses was easier. The full mass system had a slower, chunkier impulse with less felt recoil. From a prone supported position the full mass was more pleasant and easily controlled. From field positions or barricades the low mass was superior.

Edited by TonytheTiger

23 minutes ago, EricF1 said:

And also, a carbine buffer isn't a good idea in a rifle length receiver extension. See here: 

I was going to use a rifle spring and a rifle buffer but take the guts out so it works with a lo mass bolt. I didn't know if I would need an extra power or reduced power spring with a 6.5. I'm not looking for a super cheap build so I don't mind the extra cost of the low mass stuff but I do want it dependable. 

7 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I'm so glad you fixed the thread title! I've shot two JP Grendels with low mass systems and a parts gun with a standard weight parts. All had AGB's. The low mass guns had a snappier, less pleasant recoil impulse but the reticle moved less and spotting hits/misses was easier. The full mass system had a slower, chunkier impulse with less felt recoil. From a prone supported position the full mass was more pleasant and easily controlled. From field positions or barricades the low mass was superior.

Wow, that just confused things?. Sorry my spelling isn't the best and I was half asleep when I wrote it☺️

I know, it seems kind of counterintuitive. But it's a pretty clearly defined difference when shooting both systems back to back. All guns had rifle length gas systems and JP brakes and we were shooting the same factory ammo, so really carrier/buffer weight were the only big variables.

I actually went through the same process when I built a precision 223 AR. The results were the same regarding the carrier mass feel, although the actual recoil was much less pronounced with a 73-77gr bullet at 2900 fps vs. a 123gr bullet at 2500fps.

I’ve been shooting a Grendel for the last couple of years in precision matches. I shoot a 24” AA barrel, with full mass carrier. I played with a low mass carrier, but the rifle didn’t group as well.  There wasn’t enough difference in recoil to worry about IMO. The one thing I would get is the JP extractor. I’ve broken 2 of the AA extractors. Unfortunately both were in matches. I carry a spare now.  And get good mags. I run PRI 6.8 mags.  They are very reliable.  C products and ASC mags were not. 

I’ve been shooting a Grendel for the last couple of years in precision matches. I shoot a 24” AA barrel, with full mass carrier. I played with a low mass carrier, but the rifle didn’t group as well.  There wasn’t enough difference in recoil to worry about IMO. The one thing I would get is the JP extractor. I’ve broken 2 of the AA extractors. Unfortunately both were in matches. I carry a spare now.  And get good mags. I run PRI 6.8 mags.  They are very reliable.  C products and ASC mags were not.