Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Eliminate

sps

I’m in the market for a second hand S&W 686. I already found a nice piece in a good condition but as a second hand it has some scratches over it.

My question is whether there is a way to eliminate those minor scratches on the stainless steel finish or should I give up and take it as it is :( ?

sps,

There's some excellent threads on the Smith&Wesson forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com) about polishing stainless revolvers. It's not terrribly hard and really puts a shine on the gun.

Dave

Brownells used to sell something - I don't recall if it was like steelwool or like a brillopad (I think you call it a Choreboy?) but take a look there. You could basically match the matte finish on a stainless recvolver by using the appropriate "coarseness / grit" (or whatever you want to call it) and maintaing the direction of the original polishing. I've polished a stainless revolver before and going to the range with something that looks like a bathtap is not something I'll do again if I can avoid it!

I'm gonna use it as a fun gun and as such i wanted it to be perfect. it looks like I'm doomed though....

sps,

To me a fun gun is one that is going to get shot... alot. Holster, draw, repeat. It will get scratched up.

That being said, Flitz is a polish that will remove light surface scratches in stainless. Jewelers rouge ( a red polishing compound) on a buffing wheel will make any metal object shine like a new penny. Just remember, when you are polishing, you are removing metal to get the shine.

FWIW

dj

Brownell's product is probably little different from what Ed suggests.

You can call them, or post a question in the tech section. They will reply.

As I understood it the package contained various grits (I'm starting to think it was pads) and you would test e.g. under the grip or whatever to match the matte finish.

I would contact them beofre trying something else.