Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holographic sight for 16inch flat top AR

Les Snyder

I recently shot the North Carolina Tactical 3 gun match, and the "holo" sights seemed to be the sight of choice by the gentlemen that do that for a living.  I understand that the new generation of Bushnell sight has a lot of upgrades.  Does anybody have any comments pro or con?  regards Les/Fla

Mike Voight uses a holosight and that probably says it all.  I know that some Delta guys also use holosights as well as aimpoints.  Holosights may be the best red dot for an AR.  The standard reticle has a small enough dot (1 MOA I believe) to be used on farther targets.  

I believe that a low powered variable is a best all around sight for an AR however.  A scope set on 1.5 power is nearly as fast as a dot on the close stuff and cranked up to 4 or 5X is much better for shooting farther targets.  A little magnification helps you define the targets and you can easily call where the shot broke on a distant target.

If I was going to mount a dot as my sole sight, I would use a Holosight.

Who won that match??    

(Edited by kellyn at 10:41 pm on July 4, 2001)

You've pretty much described my gun. I use a post ban 16 inch Bushmaster flat-top. The halosight and the tri-pod is the only thing I've put on it and I can be very competitive for relatively little money. The halosight is perfect for the matches that I've participated in. The longest shot I've been required to hit was at 100yds and I've never had a problem with it. For close in (30 yds and less) it cannot be beat. The only other things which I would even consider for this gun is a better grip (I have large hands) and a trigger job.

All the N.C. matches I've shot had targets 100 yds and less. If it became the norm to expect longer shots than that I probably would consider a variable power scope as Kelly pointed out. But I can tell you that having a Halosight will serve your purposes just fine otherwise.

Kelly...Bennie Cooley, Mike Voight, Todd Salmon were top three, I wasn't there Friday to see Kyle and his team shoot, as they were ROs for the match... I think one of his team was 4th, then Jeff Cramblitt, then Kyle and a lot of military guys finished out the top 10.  The prize table was outstanding,  It was a real learning curve for us old out of shape farts ... easily the most physically challenging match I've ever shot.  I will be a lot better prepared next year...I shot a 4x32 ACOG and longest shots were 180y.  Extremely long shotgun runs.  I'm ready to do it again... regards

Kelly... Kyle Lamb was match director, and he has a web page at vikingtactics.com, but rules are very similar to SOF...rifle any sight but only one, comp allowed, shotgun recommended 22inch (I think the car shoot will be permanent) 8 rounds in tube no optics, speedloaders, or comps, but Vang type porting allowed, pistol, limited, extended mag for single stack only, holster must be duty type no game holsters...many used tie down rigs, but my BladeTech worked fine.  Sorry I didn't pay attention to Cooley and Voights equipment, but from the ads in Front Sight, Cooley probably shot the Browning.  Benelli's and special purpose 21inch 11-87 were most prevalent, I shot a longer 1100 with 26inch barrel, and managed the car OK.  I didn't think to bring a 20round mag for the AR, as it would have been a help in the tunnel, and many experienced shooters had a 20 for their emergency reload...I learned a lot, just wish I were 20 years younger.. regards.. hope to see you next year

Les,

I found Kyle's web page.  It has match results but does not describe the stages themselves.  Could I get you to describe the stages in a little more detail?  What kind of targets were used?

Les,

When you say holo sight is that the Eotech (sp) sight? Is anyone useing knight forearm to mount a K grip? A friend of mine is wanting knights forearm to mount an eotech and a K grip. Would'nt the sight be better to mount on the flat top?

Kelly... 10 stages, #6, fun house rifle/pistol, seven rooms with clothing on targets, photographs for faces , at least 4 targets per room, 3 permanent no shoots, baby-Ronald Regan-Charlton Heston, drew 4th no shoot from envelope containing photo on cover, Bandaras, Pitt, Slater and a couple other movie people, but  photo of other in envelope, 20 rds only in rifle, had to transition... this is the one I completely screwed up, about 1/2 way thru, in stead of having Antonio Bandaras as no shoot, I switched to Brad Pitt (his picture was on original envelope) oh well!  #7, 25yard Cooper tunnel, rifle(load20) /pistol (not charged) (wood side, snow fence on top, )engage 3 with rifle, enter tunnel, crawl, 3 on left, crawl, 2 on right, crawl, crawl crawl, 2 as you exit, abandon rifle, 10yds 4 with pistol low port, 5yards 4 over top  #8 car (Ford Tempo with stick shift) shotgun (4only loaded)/pistol(loaded) shotgun targets were in front (clay birds on "T" frames) retrieve shotgun from passenger seat, engage 4 clays, transfer to other window, load and engage 4 clays(most shot driver side from weak shoulder), replace shotgun, engage 4 targets out of each windiow with pistol  #9 triple "el presidente", rifle/pistol/shotgun, 3 rifle targets at 15 yds, 6 USPSA poppers, with 6 plates 5yd behind, 3 pistol targets .  start either end, shoot six reload, abandon, next firearm, repeat  #10 rifle/pistol, 5 targets, 2 pairs stacked one lone, 20rds rifle loaded, start low barricade port, one shot each target, 3 varying height ports, end with last 5 shots off weak shoulder, abandon rifle, move up range,engage 3sets of tight splayed targets with no shoots, 8 tight "A" shots per set, end with totem pole stacked targets #1 long shotgun run 75yds, engage about 20 clay birds, had to engage first bird from sand bag bunker on ground before you could load ...rest of shotgun stages load only 6 rounds, targets varied in height in woods.. #2 "The Rope" horizontal rope traverse(I had to jump to reach rope) about 15yds, hand and foot, shotgun staged down range, engage about 5 targets, ground shotgun, negotiate 8 foot obstacle, remaninder of run thru woods, targets scattered left right,tagngle foot and cut saplings,  end had about 10 yards of deep mud and last 4 targets  #3  shotgun, loaded with 6 ran 10yds to low port and had to remain in shooting box, very difficult position, other shooting  array minimum 25yds to second,  35 yds to last , shoot last off weak shoulder #4 rifle, 3 shots each position on steel array,ran forward 10 yds, thru 2 layers of orange snow fence, at 100y targets, move 25yds to kneeling 100yd, 25 to prone (180yds shot) 25yds to kneeling 100y,  #5 rifle , 3shots each position from barricade, left side 100yd, prone 180yd, kneeling port 100yd, kneeling narrow slot 100yd, prone 180yd, then stair step notch on right side 100yd.  Pistol was worn for all stages.  I think this is pretty accurate... I dont think I exaggeraged the distances between positions.  Excellent match... prize table included 8 Glocks, 6 Springfields, 3 Berettas, at least 2 custom 1911's, 2 Randall knives, about 30 Benchmade knives, and a lot of Blackhawk stuff and BladeTech certificates

Jon...most shot some form of full float tube, I have a Knight grip on mine via Weaver rail to use as mono pod.  The Bushnell Holo sights were typically on the reciever top rail, some military guys had the Knight rail system, and there seemed to be a mix of Aimpoints and Holos,  but I didnt see any of the SFOD-D guys as they shot Friday, and worked as RO's Sat and Sun.  They (SFOD-D) were down in Fla to Frank Garcia's a couple of weeks previously, and he related that all had holo's mounted. regards

• 2 months later...

Any one have experience running the ACOG on top thier AR?  

I'm debating whether to put on an ACOG versus a holosight or C-More.  I'm a little concerned about the fragility of the C-More design, but will keep an open mind about it.  Obviously, target acquisition will be slower with the ACOG, but is it within the range of acceptability for 3-gun?  I want a sight that can do dual-duty (field and competition).

Thanks for any advice!

Eric

Avalanche,

Sorry, I can't remember much about Voight's AR.  I do remember that he often shoots a holosight and that he has a full length barrel.  For SOF he shoots an ACOG w/ the fiber optic powered reticle (bac) and not the crossharis.

Eric,

Don't get a CMore, the adjustments are too coarse for rifle work.  CMores are good pistol sights but I don't like them on a rifle. ACOGs are good but WAY overpriced.  They are SOF legal though. If I got one, I would get the 3.5X ACOG w/ the BAC (red circle reticle) and not the one w/ all the crosshairs.  I would take a good low-powered variable over an ACOG any day.  Leupold has better glass than ACOG and you could have 2 Leupolds for the price of one ACOG.  A variable gives you the speed of little magnification (1.5X) and the benefit of higher magnification (5 or 6X).

I disagree with your statement about speed of target acquistion.  True enough, a dot maybe faster at 10 yards but it is not faster on a 10 inch plate at 300 yards.

KellyN,

Thanks for the feedback!  I wondered about the glass, but couldn't find an ACOG locally to save my life. ( I thought I was going to have to replace my scope because I couldn't get my rifle to hold a zero.  It turned out that one of the thumb screws started to back out of the mount.  Sigh....

Now for my next ignorant question...  

How much accuracy improvement will I get from a free floated barrel versus one with a std handguard?  (I have a stock Colt HBar right now that shoots <1/2 MOA - which makes me *very*happy)  Does having the sling attached the free floated handguard really make a big difference when you're pulling hard on the sling?  I've heard that it definitely does with the lightweight barrels, but didn't know if that translated over to the HBars.

Thanks again,

Eric