Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New member from NJ

10X

Hi,

I've been using the forums as a source of great info for awhile now; figured it was time to actually sign up.

I've dabbled in a lot of shooting sports over the years; smallbore free rifle on a pretty good college team, followed by a dozen years heavily into international free and air pistol.   I retired from serious competition for a number of years after that (I was a bit burned out), but in the last few years I have been back dabbling in almost any competitive event I can find within an hour's drive of home; I shot a little IPSC, more GSSF, some bullseye, police revolver, pins, steel, trap, etc.  I'm enjoying the variety!

I'm in Morris County, so north central NJ, about 25 miles south of the NY line.   Agreed, it's harder to have fun here.   I'm from Idaho, so you can imagine the culture shock...  But I belong to a couple of the local clubs and for the most part that lets me satisfy my powder-burning needs.

1 hour ago, tyman1876 said:

near Old Bridge? I've considering making the trip down (from NY) to shoot steel

If you make the trip, don't scrimp on ANY rules/regs/laws re: firearms in New Jersey    :ph34r:

Including transporting firearms thru the state.

Good luck with it (I lived in NY and NJ).    :) 

If you make the trip, don't scrimp on ANY rules/regs/laws re: firearms in New Jersey    [emoji185]

Including transporting firearms thru the state.

Good luck with it (I lived in NY and NJ).    [emoji4] 

That was a big part of the prep for my trip, making sure I'm legal as I can be. If a handgun was to much of a problem I just planned to shoot rimfire rifle.

Any idea where I can read up on what needs to be done?

4 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

Welcome. Are you anywhere near Old Bridge? I've considering making the trip down (from NY) to shoot steel there over the winter.

It's over an hour south of me.  I do get there occasionally; shot some IPSC there years ago, finally made it to one of their steel matches a few months ago.   Always a good experience, I just don't have enough time to get  there more often. 

As for your transport question, you can find a lot on the New Jersey Gun Forums board.   Like here, most of that is searchable without the need to set up an account; lots of gun law discussion there.   For a long time, transport for handguns (or hollow points, which are largely treated the same way) had to be point to point between allowed destinations only...e.g. home to range, range to home, into the state to range, with no deviations or stops allowed.   Not for food, not for fuel, not to use the restroom.    That has been relaxed a little by executive order of the governor, but expect it to go back the way it was in January.

It's over an hour south of me.  I do get there occasionally; shot some IPSC there years ago, finally made it to one of their steel matches a few months ago.   Always a good experience, I just don't have enough time to get  there more often. 

As for your transport question, you can find a lot on the New Jersey Gun Forums board.   Like here, most of that is searchable without the need to set up an account; lots of gun law discussion there.   For a long time, transport for handguns (or hollow points, which are largely treated the same way) had to be point to point between allowed destinations only...e.g. home to range, range to home, into the state to range, with no deviations or stops allowed.   Not for food, not for fuel, not to use the restroom.    That has been relaxed a little by executive order of the governor, but expect it to go back the way it was in January.

I appreciate the heads up. I'll certainly do my homework before making the trip.

Again welcome, maybe I'll catch you at a match down there someday. [emoji106]