Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic for CO and HD

Religious Shooter

I got the bug to set up a slide for CO that will double for HD.

Any recommendations on the optic my application?

Want it to be reliable.  Hopefully just pick up and go.  Don't have to turn it on.  Good for low light conditions.

Looking to set up with irons (because it will do duty for HD).  I see that it can be milled to have the irons in the front too.  Any reason to have the rear irons in the front?  

Thanks.  

Trijicon RMR. That’s the only optic I’d use for a defense gun. It’s not the best optic for CO- but it will still work very well in that role. If they made a 50,000hr Deltapoint I’d go with that... but so far no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm seeing two RMR's... the Reflex and the Reflex Type 2 .  Which one are you guys recommending?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019256383/trijicon-rmr-type-2-reflex-red-dot-sight-adjustable-led

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1583475985/trijicon-rmr-reflex-dual-illuminated-red-dot-sight

What dot size?  Color?

Type 2 has been reinforced to deal with the stress of being mounted on the slide and getting battered back and forth with every shot. The Gen 1 version was pretty good, the Gen 2 (AKA "Type 2") is better.  You want the RM06 - 3.25 MOA dot.  In my humble opinion, the 6.5MOA dot is too large and starts to cover small targets beyond 20 yds.

You can leave the dot turned on 24/7, expect to have to replace the battery every 6-9 months, depending on your brightness level.

Some people get the rear sight milled in front of the optic to allegedly "protect" the optic from flying brass, but I've never actually seen an optic ever damaged from brass.  So you might as well get the sight milled as far back as possible to retain the maximum sight radius. 

If you look around at any major CO match, virtually no one will have backup irons at all. They slow you down by obstructing ~1/3 of the glass optic.  Conversely, for a defensive gun, it's pretty important (most would agree) to have backup irons. You decide which discipline (CO or HD) is more important to you. 

I just started shooting CO late last summer, using a Glock 34 with a Burris Red Dot. It seems to perform quite well. I did add the Dawson high profile sights, and find they really come in handy. On fast close in transitions, I use the front iron sight to line up the target, I do not use the dot at that range. It seems to me a good back up for those instances where acquiring the dot during fast changes of targets less then 5 feet away.

• 4 weeks later...

Type 2 RMR for sure, but like ClangClang said, you gotta decide what discipline is more important for you CO or HD.

If HD is priority, I would take the larger 6.5MOA dot as it's easier to pick up to me and has less "jitter" to the dot. Just my opinion.

Edited by Snowb1rd