Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some dumb open Tanfo questions

kujo929

Selling my 3 gun gear and looking to get into open with a gold team in 9mm major

Looking at ipsc alex mount and thumbrest

Trying to figure out the difference between a Cmore RTS2 and the STS2. Probably going 6moa with whichever I need.

Besides that henning or TF basepads with grams springs for 140mm mags till I can figure out a workable 170mm solution.

Alpha x holster with magnet and ghost pouches (just since that’s what I use in production)

Open to recommendations from experienced open guys. I’m a long time limited and production shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to Shannon Smith's podcast for his RTS2 feelings. 

I have an STS2 on my CO gun. It's durable, but has a smaller screen than the RTS2 and DPP. This will not be an issue if you do enough dry fire [emoji4]

From everything I have read up so far it looks like both the RTS2 and DPP have had some issues on open guns. Haven’t seen anything on the RTS2 having issues since the v4 update. Guessing the DPP has also fixed issues by now also.

Listened to the Shannon Smith podcast. Sounds like his issues were with the early versions like most other people.

My suggestion - 38SC

38SC is not even a remote possibility at the moment. Production will still be my primary. Open will be local matches only since I don’t plan to setup a backup gun at this point. Not going to scrounge for brass or changeout a press unless open becomes my focus

SoCal's point is 9 major in a Gold Team is gonna be a bad time. With the holes in the barrel and reduced case volume in 9mm, you'll be on the ragged edge of blow-outs just to make major.

If you want a Tanfo for Open, look at converting a Limited in 9mm. I've got one that's pretty awesome. They can be put together for a little less than a Gold Team as well.

The Gold Team with it’s 8 barrel ports is a total gas hog. You need to load insanely hot.

Remember, these are European guns. IPSC Major PF is only 160, so hitting it with a 9mm is rather safe.

With USPSAs 170 PF? Things can get a bit sketchy. Probably not a good choice for an intro to loading 9mm Major. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

SoCal's point is 9 major in a Gold Team is gonna be a bad time. With the holes in the barrel and reduced case volume in 9mm, you'll be on the ragged edge of blow-outs just to make major.

If you want a Tanfo for Open, look at converting a Limited in 9mm. I've got one that's pretty awesome. They can be put together for a little less than a Gold Team as well.

Can you point me in the right direction for building one up?

Is that easier than using the non-v12 barrel that comes with a gold team and have the ports opened up?

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

I'm making major easily in a Gold Custom Eric I bought in August.  8.0gr of HS-6 gets me to 172PF with no signs of over pressure.  Lighting them off with Small Pistol Magnum primers.  Maybe I got lucky and have a fast barrel.