Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

removing pinned in carrier weight?

I have a 7 lb Colt style PCC that runs very well with no parts breakage thru 2K rounds..but a lot of recoil with a Slash9 style solid stainless steel buffer.

I have the Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer and JP Spring on order. It has an old school RRA bolt that was ramped years ago. 

Is it a good idea to try it with the Carrier weight removed in addition?

Is there a standard goal for complete bolt weight?

Regards,-B

Others have indicated that an ideal reciprocating weight (bolt and buffer combined) is in the 19-22oz range.  

Obviously, recoil spring and buffer type can play a part too, but that is a good starting point.  If you are shooting

"mouse fart" loads, stick to the lower end of the scale and go heavier with full power loads.

I have played around with 9mm AR's for awhile. Before there was a PCC division. Back then the belief was that everything needed to be heavy.

Fast forward to today. In my JP GMR-13 rig I do not have the weight in the bolt and use a Blitz hydro buffer with JP spring. Runs great! The bolt is about 12.5 oz without the weight in it.

I use the spent brass as a indication of how the buffer, spring, and bolt is working. If you are not getting bulged or split cases....you should be fine.

Take the weight out and see how it runs.

sounds good, I have had this for a long time it was initially a Hahn blocked lower. But a case head separation destroyed that block.  This lower is beefy I can't hurt it like that thin walled Hahn.. I  think

ETA: Thanks for the informative replies BBB and L9x25!

Edited by bladewurk

Just for a point of reference, I have a newer GMR-13 (bolt is 1pc with no removable weight) and it weighs 13.5oz. 

My Blitzkrieg buffer weighs 6oz, for a 19.5oz combo.

Weight your bolt both ways and see where you are.  

I removed the BCG weight and the BUIS, now with optic but no mag it weighs right at 6.5, feels a little better .

ETA: gonna weigh the train when the new lighter buffer comes in I will start testing. I will be putting a C-more on ASAP also., if it's reliable.

http://cubeupload.com/im/odC6y2.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by bladewurk
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice rig. Just weighed mine today after a bunch of changes/additions/subtractions/etc. Came in at around the 6.38 mark. I left my mass in my bolt as per Brian at Blitz. Haven't shot it yet without the mass. I know guys running the same buffer with JP bolts (no mass) and they are having great success. So I guess it is more of a case by case reliability issue with the ammo you shoot. Good luck. And +1 on the Railway. I love mine.

Chris

The current JP bolt does not have a removable weight....but it is still heavier then the bolts with removable weight removed. The hole in the JP bolt is much smaller, basicly that is where they “hide” their weight.

I was/am planning on doing a 9mm bolt review but my camera decided not to cooperate. I have the “first gen” JP, the current JP, a QC10, and a Taccom bolt. 

I know the "skeletonized" their bolt to allow their SCS to work properly, but I was still under the impression their bolts were on the lighter side of things. Hmm... Ill have to take the scales to the range next time I go and actually weigh a few different bolts along with a JP and see. Thanks for the tip Big, didn't know that. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Bladewurk what brand lower is that? Dedicated Colt right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes dedicated Colt style..its a PSA not made anymore. Spikes is almost the same and QC10 are similar

Edited by bladewurk

Just testfired with Fed 115 grain C.O.P.S. which looks like Am Eagle but in a Blue Box. No failures in 200 rounds, and gun feels slightly softer with Blitzkrieg buffer and weight out.  I forgot to bring the weight to try. I'm thinking weight in with Fact Ammo and weight out with lighter handloads,. Seems plenty accurate offhand at 25 yards. And no bulged or split cases with the Blitz buffer, weight out and Wolff XP Carbine spring.

feels harsh to me but less harsh than before..

image.jpg

On November 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM, L9X25 said:

Just for a point of reference, I have a newer GMR-13 (bolt is 1pc with no removable weight) and it weighs 13.5oz. 

My Blitzkrieg buffer weighs 6oz, for a 19.5oz combo.

Weight your bolt both ways and see where you are.  

Ok I finally weighed all components:

RRA ramped Bolt with wt&pin removed-12.16 oz

Weight & Pin -3.52 oz

Blitz Buffer- 6.08 oz

Buffer and Bolt with Weight removed -18.24

All 3 with Weight -21.76 oz

These are exact weights on Scale certified for trade by the State

Edited by bladewurk
Clarity

We have so few items that we can change (on the gun) to tune it that adding/removing that weight becomes significant.   I ordered both of the recommended springs from BK, along with the buffer.  I had already developed a 130pf load so I tried both springs to see what felt best.  It was not even close, the heavy spring was WAY too stiff and made the rifle feel harsh.  I installed the carbine spring and it was MUCH better.  If I had a removable weight, I would test that too.