Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MD's: A reasoned plea AGAINST 1/2 day format matches

So I agree with Eric, especially coming off working SMM3G.  The first day, one on one off, we started 40 mins behind schedule.  Ended the day 20 min ahead.  The only way to achieve that is with this format.  The next day (1/2 day format), we stayed on time, until the weather hit.  Half the range had target issues that required them to shut down briefly to fix, but backed us up and our stage paid the price in delays, and staying on range an extra 90 mins to get the last squads through. 

Also, with the delays, the shooters were not ready to shoot our stage.  They were coming from a 2 gun stage, had to get ready for a 3 gun stage and were not in a rush to get briefed adding to delays.  As a fellow competitor, I hate being rushed but cannot fault the RO's who are trying to get the stage back on schedule.  Also, as an RO, I do not like yelling at competitors to hurry up, but it needs to be done when the stage is backing up.

Regarding 3 gun matches, one on one off is the only way to go for both shooters and staff.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a shooter I prefer to shoot only half day format matches.  I hate shooting a stage in a "full day" format match knowing that it will be between 2 and 3 hours before I get to shoot again.. With my knee problems I can never get loose and stay loose in full day format. 

As a MD, I prefer half day matches because that is what my customers tell me they want overwhelmingly.   The schedule is the schedule regardless, but I don't think one is really superior to the other on the match admin side of things.  

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, bishop414 said:

So I agree with Eric, especially coming off working SMM3G.  The first day, one on one off, we started 40 mins behind schedule.  Ended the day 20 min ahead.  The only way to achieve that is with this format.  The next day (1/2 day format), we stayed on time, until the weather hit.  Half the range had target issues that required them to shut down briefly to fix, but backed us up and our stage paid the price in delays, and staying on range an extra 90 mins to get the last squads through. 

Also, with the delays, the shooters were not ready to shoot our stage.  They were coming from a 2 gun stage, had to get ready for a 3 gun stage and were not in a rush to get briefed adding to delays.  As a fellow competitor, I hate being rushed but cannot fault the RO's who are trying to get the stage back on schedule.  Also, as an RO, I do not like yelling at competitors to hurry up, but it needs to be done when the stage is backing up.

Regarding 3 gun matches, one on one off is the only way to go for both shooters and staff.  

Never EVER agree with Eric.