Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Speedloader Question

George

Hi all,

I am trying to get some info about safety issues concerning the Tecloader shotgun sticks. I have heard scuttlebutt in the past concerning Tecloaders with the wood dowell modification being unsafe because of the extra force that can be generated with the dowell stabilizing the plunger/handle.

All of the shooters I know in my area have been using dowell modified sticks for years with no problems.

I recently read the rules for Superstition Mountain 3Gun and noticed that they will DQ folks using old style speedloaders without a "primer relief cut".

Here is the text from the 2002 Superstition Mountain 3Gun rules regarding shotgun speedloaders and the mysterious "primer relief cut".

------------------------------------------------------

5.5.4.a. Shotgun speedloaders must be the new type, or modified old style with the primer relief cut.

5.5.4.b. Use of old style shotgun speedloaders without the primer relief cut will result in Match disqualification.

----------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know the facts behind this issue?

Thanks,

I won't claim these are facts, but here is what I have heard...

There are a couple of stories around about people who have had a shotgun round go off while in the middle of being shoved into their gun.  The analysis has seemed to indicate that sand, grit, whatever on the front of the "plunger" part could set off the round when it was "wiped" across the back of the shot shell.  

The newer loaders have a groove cut the width of the primer, across the whole face of the "plunger" part, so no matter what is in there, it won't be wiped against the shot-shell primer.

That appears to be the issue for the MM 3gun; I don't think it has anything to do with whether you use a dowel or not (that may be a separate issue)

bruce

You can easily modify old techloaders by using a dremel to make a relief cut on your plungers.  We had a techloader blow up at Rio Salado and the range has been very wary of them since.  You should be fine with the relief cut.

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like a pretty simple thing.

I haven't seen a modified one, so I am assuming that the cut would need to be slightly over primer width and parallel (in a vertical manner) with the tube slot.

Regards,

• 9 years later...

Kelly,

Sorry to bring this up again, but do you have a photo of what the modification looks like? From the description, it is not a reproduction of the "new" speedloader design. (sorry, sometimes I need a picture to get it).

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

George

Kelly,

Sorry to bring this up again, but do you have a photo of what the modification looks like? From the description, it is not a reproduction of the "new" speedloader design. (sorry, sometimes I need a picture to get it).

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

George

Easy way to do it is to take a shotgun shell and mark primer with back sharpie and while ink is still wet place the shotgun shell primer end down on top of the follower for the tech loader and press down. Remove the shell and with a dremel or a drill remove the part of the follower where you see the black sharpie marker on the follower and you have successfully modified your old one. I also think the "new" design has been on the market for some time.

Kelly,

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

George

Easy way to do it is to take a shotgun shell and mark primer with back sharpie and while ink is still wet place the shotgun shell primer end down on top of the follower for the tech loader and press down. Remove the shell and with a dremel or a drill remove the part of the follower where you see the black sharpie marker on the follower and you have successfully modified your old one. I also think the "new" design has been on the market for some time.

OK, so it is just making the hole bigger... that's easy. The other description sounded like some vertical cut to the face of the push/plunger. Easy to do, thanks.

Yes, aware the "new" ones have been out for sometime but (like many of us) we been at this for some time and have many of the old Tec Loader tubes.

Again, thanks for the help.

George