Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Up Close...

im new at this sport, a 2 month old newbie.

heres my problem, i notice that when im shooting at targets up close, say 7 to 10 yards, im not looking at my front sight and instead im looking at the paper targets to see where the shots went through :huh:

this habit messes me up because of the misses and my round count as i am shooting in L10.

is this called point shooting?? how can i correct this, aside for more practice of course.

all replies, tips and help are very much appreciated.

At a certain distance, it's OK to look "through" the gun/sights at the target, but it's never OK to look for the hits to appear. 7-10 yards isn't really close, not close enough to point shoot.

See the sights. Focus on the front.

Try practicing at longer and longer ranges, and then moving in close.

You just have to force yourself to be patient and wait for the sights before you fire the shot. Shooting from further back will really drive this point home.

tinkanting,

Point Shooting is a method of lining up the barrel with the target (just the way that sights are a method of lining up the barrel with the target). It doesn't sound like you are doing that.

You need to find a way to line up the barrel so that it is on target when the bullet leaves the barrel.

I find that having a front sight focus gives me the very best feedback...letting me know if I was aligned on target when the bullet left the barrel.

Also, as Erik said, you don't want to be looking for the holes in the target. In our game, you can learn to read the sights/gun...and you can know where the bullet will land before it even gets to the target.

This is what we refer to as "calling the shot".

Instead of counting rounds as you are shooting, try to break down the stage to the points where you will have to reload. Group the targets in arrays that you feel comfortable with. If you are comfortable shooting ten shots then reloading, then do that. Plan your reloads in your walk-through of the stage and run it in your head. Visualize everything happening. And when you think you've got it, do it again. This way you won't have to count each shot, just remember your reload points. It'll be a little easier to shoot when your head isn't somewhere else.

JOe