Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Hammer Spring Tinkering

JWard79

I have a P226 that hasn’t had a lot of range time, in part due to the trigger weight.  This evening I disassembled the gun & found out the hammer spring diameter is the same as a CZ.  I cut a CGW 8.5 & 13 lbs (spares I had on hand) to match the length of the Wolff  17lbs installed in the gun.  The clipped CGW13lbs hammer spring felt heavier than the Wolff, and the CGW8.5 appears to be too light.  Wasn’t sure if anyone else had played around with “other than SIG” hammer springs, but I think a lighter hammer spring is something that could make the P226 more competition friendly.  Will function test the CGW8.5 spring when I have the opportunity, and likely test an CGW11.5 when I get around to placing another order.

To remove subjectivity in my trigger finger I decided to run the hammer springs over a Lyman gauge.  Since the CGW 13lbs spring felt similar to the Wolff spring I cut 2 coils off to see if that gained any advantage. 

P226 hammer spring pull weights:

Wolff 17lbs (control ) = 8.6 DA / 3.9 SA
CGW13Lbs ( -2 coils)= 7.2 DA / 3.9 SA
CGW8.5lbs = 5.3 DA / 2.12 SA

I tried using 1911 mainsprings. Plentiful & cheap. 15# was the lightest I had. I didn't have a gauge at the time, but it was noticeably lighter than stock. I got a really nice DA pull, but it would not set off any brand primer. I think a XL firing pin would help, but did not know of any at the time. I finally gave up. The geometry of the Sig trigger doesn't allow super light hammer springs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting a 226 elite USPSA model right now. I've been using a 17 lb hammer spring combined with the Gray Guns spring kit and the E2 hammer strut and seat. The E2 strut and seat lowers double action just a bit, it compresses the spring a little less at rest.

I'm looking at playing with some spring options. The rebounding hammer will limit how low we can go with the hammer spring, it doesn't drive the hammer all the way to the primer. Has anyone played with the DAK hammer strut in a standard 226? The DAK strut removes the rebounding hammer function, but the pistol should operate and de-cock just fine without the rebounding function. This should allow for a lighter hammer spring.