Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Apeiro hammer trouble

overlord

I have a new (1000 rounds) Apeiro 2011. Today at a match my hammer failed to lock back.

I tried quickly to see if I could get it to work then switched to my back up gun.

I haven't broken it down yet and anticipate some sort of sear or sear spring problem but wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced similar problems or had suggestions on repairs?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by overlord

Just today had a problem with hammer follow/run-away-auto-fire on my home build during a match. Figured it out to be a over travel screw that worked its way forward over the last 3 matches. Since my trigger bow was allowed to travel too far I started having A LOT of trouble.

Fixed and lock tighted the over travel screw and everything was right in the world. 

One thing to check. 

I had some serious issues with this earlier this year with a franken-9mm I have.  I had to shave down the disconnector a couple thousandths. 

Adam at Atlas Gunworks talked me through that process.  There is a specific length the disconnector should be, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it would be worth looking into.

After breaking it down I found the sear spring our of alignment and the grip safety wedged. As a result the sear spring finger would not engage.

There is not a lot of room for it to wiggle around in there so I'm surprised it moved. I emailed STI and sent some pictures of what I found.

I'm waiting for their response and will post an update when I hear what they have to say.

3 hours ago, overlord said:

After breaking it down I found the sear spring our of alignment and the grip safety wedged. As a result the sear spring finger would not engage.

There is not a lot of room for it to wiggle around in there so I'm surprised it moved. I emailed STI and sent some pictures of what I found.

I'm waiting for their response and will post an update when I hear what they have to say.

In my experience, their customer service is fantastic. good luck!

Bdh821 is correct. Sadly, I have seen not only poor quality parts come out of them, but some really questionable work as well. With that having been said, I sponsor a shooter who had to go to a metal grip to solve the hammer follow problem that he was experiencing with several different STI's. The sear spring was allowed to move as the frame flexed and that was causing his issues. Decent gun for the money, sure, when you get one that works.