Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imr 4320 Powder Going Bad

I have some IMR 4320 that has developed an orange powder.

Talked to IMR and they said get it out of the house and dispose of it.

Turns out I pulled some stuff loaded 2 years ago and it to is developing the orange powder in the loaded cartridge.

Anybody run into this before. The powder is only 12 years old and has been stored properly.

I am thinking about pulling the 75 loaded rounds apart, thoughts?

Residues of the acids used in powder manufacturing are supposed to be washed out of the powder and the powder treated with a basic compound to neutralize remaining acid. This powder may not have been treated as well as it was supposed to. Does the powder smell funny?

In any case, powder is so cheap, and a mistake so expensive, that you should dispose of it.

I have seen this before involving powders stored in a metal can. The interior of the can rusts, due to humidity and residual acids from the powder, which then contaminates the powder. The powder acquires a bitter smell, then it is only suitable for fertilizer. :ph34r:

Well I talked to IMR today(Hodgen Now.)

They suggested that the powder be disposed of before it starts to get slick and wet. When it hits that stage it will combust in the can, very bad.

They also suggested I tear apart all the cartridges loaded and dispose of the powder. Blow the cases out, I used a fat pipe cleaner, got some more powder out, and then compressed air to the inside to remove te dust. They said that this dust was not toxic.

I am then going to reload all of them with new powder.

By the way, I was impressed, a suppervisor agreed to replace the powder, its in the mail.

Always did like IMR and Hodgen.

This is the first time I've heard of properly stored powder going bad. I thought the stuff had excellent long term storage capabilities (not that my powder ever gets that old).

Does it make a difference if it is single as opposed to double based?

:unsure:

Kevin C.

In all my years of reloading I have struck this same problem about three times, all with powder I have bought second hand. All stored in Tins. I now repackage all my old powder into plastic containers. Non clear plastic at that.

Even stored properly this little problem can arise. It is just one of them things. Plastic storage containers are better for the powder anyway. Most manufacturers are going over to them.

Hodgdon has always been one of the best powder companies to deal with, and I must say I have always been impressed with there customer service. Plus the staff always seem to be happy and helpful, must be a good company to work for.