Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Combo Glock For Nra Biachi And Uspsa Open

DaveM

I am interested in building a glock 9mm combo gun for USPSA open and NRA. Has anyone seen a glock set-up with an NRA barricade stop. I need to make major for USPSA and I really need 2 1/2" groups ot better @ 50 yds. Does anyone think it can be done?

Also any comments on the pros and cons of a slide mounted dot vs. a carver mount and a C-more? Do you loose sight of the dot as the slide moves. I like the idea of the slide mount It seems like theres a lot of slide to frame slop that can be taken out of the equation by mounting the dot on the slide.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Eric. I liked the idea of the Doctor better anyway. I just never seem to see many at the local matches here so I thought there might be some reason

I think it can be done.

What is needed is a quality barrel, built to quality specs. It needs to have consistent lock-up, with tight tolerences so that the tube that spits the bullets is always in the same place. And, the sighting system needs to be in alignment with the tube that spits the bullets.

You also will wnat a good trigger and a good trigger puller...so none of that alignment is knocked out of whack.

On, on the wings...Robin Taylor mention, in an article in Front Sight, that he had ideas on those wings.

What is needed is a quality barrel, built to quality specs.  It needs to have consistent lock-up, with tight tolerences so that the tube that spits the bullets is always in the same place.  And, the sighting system needs to be in alignment with the tube that spits the bullets.

You also will wnat a good trigger and a good trigger puller...so none of that alignment is knocked out of whack.

I think Flex hit the nail on the head. From personal experience with a tackdriving Glock, I have one word for you: Bar-Sto. The six inch .45 upper for my G21 came from them with bank-vault-like lockup and an amazing trigger pull.....

Flex, I read the same thing about the Carver mount in this month's Front sight magazine and thought of that right away when I read this post for the first time. Seems simple enough.

Rick

Thanks for the info. I have a bar-sto semi-fitted barrel in my G17 production gun right now. It is very accurate. It would make 2 1/2 to 3" at 50 yards which is good enough. I haven't done any trigger work at all so the 5.5 lb trigger is a little hard to manage shooting tight 50 yd groups, and the stock sights are a little course also. By the way there is no hope for the trigger puller.

I really thought the Hawley custom gun with the doctor sight that Eric sent pictures of was neat.

I'm thinking I could just put together another upper assembly (slide, barrel, comp and sight. The I can just switch it with my production set-up on the same frame.

Good news! There is no need for "wings" since a feature of this year's Bianchi Cup was the introduction of the "Open Modified Division" specifically for USPSA Open guns (who won OM Division this year, anyway??). This newly-launched Division does not allow the use of the baricade, but otherwise the guns & COF are identical to typical USPSA Open guns so NO modification is needed - just shoot the same gun in both sports! I think that this new division is THE way to go for you.

Best part is that the NRA pays a hefty prize ($500 or something) to the winner of "Open Modified Division" at the Bianchi cup & there are relatively few people entering. $500 would at least pay for most of the stock Glock you plan to build on.

Anyone have access to this year's Bianchi results?

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I have a Carver/C-more and do not have any issues with it other than the limited holster options. I have only used it to shoot 25 yards or less. This weekend I had 4 fast A's at 25 yds with a KKM 4 Port so I am happy.