Carry optics (maybe Production) Q5 vs XD vs M&P

Walther Q5

M&P CORE

XD OSP

I'm interested in 3 main things:

Accuracy

Ease/speed of reloads

Good trigger (aftermarket or stock)

How do these guns perform in regards to these 3 things?

Of these 3 pistols, which would you choose for Carry Optics and why?

Edited by LeviSS

If your left handed it's a no brainer, the M&P.  

I would shy away from the Walther but only since it's new and not fully aftermarket supported.

The best option is to handle all three and go with the one you feel fits the best.

Trigger can be modified.  Accuracy can be tuned with load, if not drop in barrels can help.  Feel is what it is.

Edited by Mushki25

3 hours ago, CZ173 said:

Out of those 3 the Q5 has the best trigger, best ergos but the worst felt recoil

The stock spring is a little heavy, I had the same issue when I used an XDM. I dropped down the recoil spring on my Q5 to a 15lb flat wire Wilson 1911 spring on a stainless steel guide rod, muzzle flip is much better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, Mushki25 said:

If your left handed it's a no brainer, the M&P.  

I would shy away from the Walther but only since it's new and not fully aftermarket supported.

The best option is to handle all three and go with the one you feel fits the best.

Trigger can be modified.  Accuracy can be tuned with load, if not drop in barrels can help.  Feel is what it is.

Are you left-handed and have you shot a Q5? I am, and I sold my M&P because the Walther is most definitely better for a lefty. The slide stop is positively enourmous, and the mag release is reversible and even easier to reach than the M&Ps.

The walther has the best trigger in a plastic gun by a mile, and is the equivalent of my 2.75lb M&P (with $100 worth of APEX parts) with the addition $3 trigger spring. If you want it light, that is. I actually like the way it shoots with a 5lb trigger and returned it to stock.

All of them reload roughly equivalently - the M&P and Walther are not quite as fast as a Glock with a grip plug installed, but they're very close.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Are you left-handed and have you shot a Q5? I am, and I sold my M&P because the Walther is most definitely better.

The walther has the best trigger in a plastic gun by a mile, and is the equivalent of my 2.75lb M&P (with $100 worth of APEX parts) with the addition $3 trigger spring. If you want it light, that is. I actually like the way it shoots with a 5lb trigger and returned it to stock.

All of them reload roughly equivalently - the M&P and Walther are not quite as fast as a Glock with a grip plug installed, but they're very close.

I have shot a two different Q5s and could not see anything special about them.  A stock trigger is only a starting point.  I was basically married to my M&P for the better part of a decade. I only added a comp spring kit and did my own polish.  I am sure the Q5 can be improved but the ones I shot were not what I would be happy with but no Tupperware gun really is.  I am sure all offerings will work.  I have recently moved on to an SVI and have no interest in going back.  I will be passing the M&P on to my daughter for a season or two I believe, then she can make her own choices.

I spent 8 years with an M&P, then switched to the secret sauce as well: a Tanfo, in my case. Being a hard-headed production guy.

I agree there's absolutely nothing magical about the Q5. The beautiful stock trigger does make it easier to modify until you're happy... although I'm shooting mine completely factory, and I'd never have dreamed of doing that with the god awful M&P schhprittooooink mechanism.

But it's just another competitive production gun, just like the M&P. Or that Tanfoglio which I sold to go back to plastic. Or a CZ. Or a Glock. They're all pretty much equally competitive in Production. Just shoot what you like and don't switch until you make GM. :) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic