Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer seating

I just finished loading 1000 .38 specials and I must say it was effortless. Switched over to 9mm and now I can not correctly

seat a primer. None of them are even close to flush with the case. I took everything apart and cleaned. I checked for correct shell plate

and made sure primer punch  was seated. I tightened down the shell plate a bit ( almost no wiggle ).  Still not seated flush.

This is a 30+ year old press.

The Dillon "troubleshooting" number has a constant busy signal.

Our phones were undergoing some work for a while today. What is the headstamp on the 9mm cases you are attempting to load? Could they have crimped primer pockets? Be sure the "5" is visible on the top of the shellplate. When you push forward on the handle, be sure the handle doesn't stop against anything.

What brand primers are you loading?

I recently picked up some S&B small pistol primers.  Roughly 2% do not want to seat properly.  

None of the brass is crimped so I think its a case where the S&B primers are slightly larger diameter than the CCI and Winchester primers I normally use.

I checked the shell plate,  #5 is up. It is tightened down, no up and down movement. I tried 2 different primer seater stems. The primers I tried with 9mm were CCI small

pistol.  NO military brass, all commercial head stamps. I also tried a different primer slide and I also filed some material off the bracket that catches the loaded rounds as

I could see where they were making contact.  I tried everything I could think of  and I have not solved this. I just finished loading 1000 .38 spl ( federal primers) that were

easy to load, primers seated perfectly prior to switching to 9mm.

I guess my only option is to order all new parts associated with primer seating and see how that goes.

Flatland.

I did not try federals as I have used them, CCI , Winchesters, Remington's and even Tula's over the years and not run into this.

I save Federals for revolver loads usually. I will try some tomorrow as a comparison.

I have gotten some Federal .45ACP SP with crimp and some without.  Think it depends on what type of primer is used in that particular loading.  If they use the new style primers (can't remember the name of them) I understand they need to be crimped.