Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tightening Up Ambis

EricW

For those of you who, like me, have crappy ambi safeties that are always loose, I did something simple yesterday that tightens them up. How long it will last...who knows. My Swensons appear to be made of out pot metal that was rejected by Hot Wheels, so for today, let's call it temporary euphoria.

If you dimple the tab on the right hand safety with an automatic center punch - make several dimples on each side - it really solidifies the connection. Previously, I was just gently crimping the forks closed on the LH safety, with temporary improvement at best.

I'm sure that this too will shoot loose, but it does seem a lot better than what I was doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Envision multiple center-punched dimples on a metal tab. ;)

It's loosened up a tad, but it's still better than when I was squeezing the forks closed slightly with pliers.

I bought my SA 1911 Loaded used. It's ambi safety was really loose so I replaced it with a Kimber ambi safety. The Kimber ambi uses a new hammer pin as a stop to prevent over travel downward which would stretch the other side too much. I believe Kings makes one like this as well. By design it can't travel too far up because it runs into the slide.

safe2.jpg

safe1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...