Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC suggested ammo

I just completed a deal to pick up an STI DVC.....less than 200 rounds down the barrel....I am about to dive in deep in USPSA Limited and plan to shoot three events a week (Lucky to live in AZ!!).  Been shooting a M&P 9L, G19 and 34 with just stock ammo's.  I am working on picking up a Dillon SQ. Deal set up for 9mm but have ZERO idea where to start with the ammo.  I am perusing other posts and making notes daily.  I plan on going out and buying one box of every ammo I could find.  147g, 124g and 115g and throwing them all through the gun and once I find one that I like, just mirroring that round......anyone else have a better suggestion?

My personal preference for minor PF ammo is CFE Pistol, 5.0 gr with a 124gr bullet, loaded to 1.15, gives me a 134 PF and works well. I don't shoot minor PF anymore, but that's what I have loaded up for my wife when she comes out to shoot.

Your first decision is :    124 gr   or  147 gr ?     Have you developed a preference, yet?    The 124 is faster (snappier) and

the 147 is softer and slower to some fast shooters.     I prefer the 147's.

2nd :   Powder.   I like the WW231 - lots of people like N320.   Then a whole bunch of other powders out there, too.

What have you been shooting, lately?

I have not ever shot a 2011 yet....it is on its way to me now.  I have been shooting a G19 and a G34 using various different 115g box ammo with a preference for Fiocchi.  the 34 didn't like 147g and I have never tried a 124g,,,I have a ton of work ahead of me I know.