Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignition Test For Glocks

eric nielsen

Now that I have a debris hole in my Caspian G17 slide, my striker movement is much more free. Also John Nagel showed me a [bad Caspian] cause of excessive primer shavings, here's the cure - I filed across the breechface and touched it up with 600 emory cloth. Also took the striker out and filed a little bit off the bottom of the striker tip where it was rubbing the slide.

The 'ignition test' that it passes now is to remove the slide assy and use a tool to pull back the striker so it's reset and then push in on the safety plunger. The striker should fall from any down-angle at all, with the slide upside down, rightside up, sideways, every way.

It should go 'tink' every time, even from a down-angle of only 10 degress or so. Take care when you reassemble the striker assy - I usually put a little 'twist' on the spring & cups. I also check that the ends of the Wolff striker spring aren't oversize. And remember to do the "vertical test" frequently. If you've never heard of it do a search, it's in the Forums.

I put up new Open G17 pics in the Gallery section. Gun runs like a scalded dog now.

My test is to shoot "earplug" rounds in my shop. I could just load primers into empty cases to check the striker's strength, but then adding the foam earplug (in place of the bullet) makes for more excitement.:):):)

I remember a friend who put a small piece of cotton on several .45 ACP shells when another friend of ours was reloading for competition. We had a good laugh when it was his turn to shoot. :P

[Don't do it with an open gun..... I use 5grains of bullseye and a cotton patch to fireform my .17 ackley hornet cases and one of my buddies with the same setup and a vais muzzle brake blew the end of his brake off with just a cotton patch... I couldn't believe it when he showed it to me.....

The best and "safest" way to function test a Glock striker is with live rounds at a shooting range into the backstop.

I won't put anything but empty mags into a gun I am playing with at home.

--

Regards,