Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was at recent 3 gun match, a shotgun stage.  Several shooters never made it to the finish with a round count nearing 40.  The first one to do so realized that 2 poppers were never set for our squad and got a reshoot.  The question is, should the first shooters who did not finish from running out of ammo deserve a reshoot from unset targets?  Or should they take the penalties for not finishing the course of fire and FTEs?  It's interesting that a local club RO ruled for a reshoot as did a nationally recognized 3gun master but the CRO and MD did not.  

The last squad forgot to reset the last 4 targets.  The CRO and MD argued that since those 2 shooters didn't make it past the halfway mark those un-reset targets were irrelevant.  My argument, which was denied, was that the course of fire should be the same for every shooter regardless.  What I'm seeing is even though they insisted on equal rules for every shooter to the RO briefings it did not apply in this case.  What is frustrating is seeing some ROs there give reshoots to known local shooters for arbitrary reasons-again Outlaw 3gun...

Thanks,

Racine

Playing devil's advocate...

How can you be sure that those targets were not set for when those other shooters shot?  Maybe the wind just blew them over right before the shooter who got to the end...

Image result for shifty  eyes

Edited by GorillaTactical

40 minutes ago, racine said:

It was a windless morning. The wind didn't pick up till after 3 pm, hours later. 

I think you may have taken my post a bit too literally.  My point is, you can't be sure one way or another, that the targets were 100% not set for anyone other than the shooter shooting at the time the downed targets were discovered.  I don't see how you could prove that previous shooters hadn't had the targets either available to shoot, or that they hadn't shot them (depending on how the stage was laid out).  In other words, at the time of penalties being assessed for targets left standing, the RO, the scorer, and the shooters should have looked over the course and counted the steel left standing at which point, the RO or scorer should have noticed the steel in question down, and determined if they had been shot or if they had not been reset.  At that point a reshoot could have been issued to the shooter currently shooting the stage, or he/she would have received credit for the hits.

It's a positive learning moment to always walk an entire stage during walk-through, during the scoring procedure, and when the scorer enters the final score on the pad after you've shot to ensure you're always seeing everything and securing the appropriate and most accurate score.

That said, if the MD's decision on whether to grant the reshoot was predicated on how well the shooter did on the stage, and whether or not it would have made a difference, then that in my opinion, is incorrect.  As soon as it's accepted that the stage was incorrectly setup for certains shooters, then reshoots to everyone who shot the stage incorrectly would be required.