Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movie Commercials

Paul B

Has anyone noticed that movie theatres have started showing a lot of commercials before the movie. Last one I went to had 6 commercials before the previews. It took 20 minutes for the show to actually start. With the cost getting to $10-12 per this is really beginning to piss me off.

Then they ask you to help them keep the theatre clean by picking up all the containers for popcorn, etc. which cost another kings ransom.

Well, I have a new rule. Any commercials and I don't pick up my trash. Too many commercials and I sometimes spill my popcorn. I know it's childish, but I feel much better and if more people do it maybe they will get the message. I'm waiting for someone to ask me if to bring out my trash personnally so I can deliver the message in person.

Then they ask you to help them keep the theatre clean by picking up all the containers for popcorn, etc. which cost another kings ransom.

If they didn't charge so much for the movie and the concessions I might be half tempted to throw away the trash myself. The theater employs people to do this, so I see no point in preventing them from doing their job.

Anymore, however, I would simply bring in my own snacks and drinks (5.11 vests and the wife's purse are handy for this) which I will throw away myself.

Right now aint too bad though. Here in Iraq ol' Haji is selling Star Wars Episode III (amongst many other titles) on DVD for a whopping $3, or 2 for $5. And the bottled water and Gatorade is free!

The only worthwhile pre-show feature they have added in the last 10 years is the fake movie trailer that tells everyone to TURN OFF CELL PHONES. Keep that one - and ditch most of the rest; then show me the movie I paid for.