Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 Ga.

mike4045

I just bought a Saiga 12 ga. for 3gun. I have found a few 5 rd mags, and got the name of someone making them into 10 rds. Is anybody actually using these guns in 3gun? I have shot a few 3gun matches, they were fun just seemed to drag on all day. Are these things faster to reload than other guns? I had hell trying to stuff the mag in it with the slide forward.

I am considering selling it and just getting a Benelli.

Mike

PM sent. The problem with the Saiga's is that the well has dried up on mags and other associated pieces and parts. Until someone steps up to the plate as an importer again, it could be a real long drought!

I know of two guys using them regularly. Both do their reloads while holding the bolt to the rear. IMHO takes away from the advantage of the magazine over tec loaders. They are also a little more difficult to do a select slug drill if that happens on a COF.

Do a search for a member named Correia as he is a east bloc weapons junkie and actually wrote a Saiga article for SWAT mag. He will probably give you more info than you need :)

Craig

Or just ask anyone from San Angelo.

Our own Professor Kelly McCoy started the Saiga fiasco (in his defense, I started the mag-fed equipment race with a USAS-12), building a JP-type mid-barrel compensated Optima-sighted 20-guage Saiga with his own home-built 10-round magazines (made by carefully combining two 5-round magazines with a dab of glue and a lot of fiberglass).

Fred "Me and My Saiga Are Internationally Famous" Hindman got in the game, building himself the Red Saiga Of Death with his own 10 (actually 12) round home-build 12-guage magazines and JP-type compensator.

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/Saiga12_Fred.JPG

I got into the game, after buying Liota a JP Open 1100 (too heavy), building her a shorter 1100 (still too heavy, but Bruce Gary seems to like it :) ), and finally building her a folding-stock pistol-grip dot-sighted factory 10 round magazine 20-guage Saiga (which is waiting for the Professor's patented compensator and dot base):

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...ga20_proto2.JPG

I liked her shotgun so much that I built the same thing in 12 guage:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag.../Saiga12_AW.JPG

I have a stack of factory-8's, and have four 10 (12 ;) ) round magazines in pieces over at the Shop waiting to be assembled. It will get a Kelly dot mount and a Fred Comp one of these days :)

ANYWAY...

With some polishing of the underside of the bolt, you can easily reload to a full magazine. With a pistol grip conversion and a large mag catch (like in my S-12 picture), you can release the magazine with your firing trigger finger while reloading with your left. Ah, progress... Don't waste your time with that bolt-held-back-reloading junk; learn to load correctly the first time :ph34r:

Alex