Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes on XDM

Kaldor

Went out with a buddy yesterday and he was getting light strikes every other round with his XDM.  Happened with both factory ammo (IMI 115gr) and my reloads.  Both loads shot fine from any of my 9mm's as well as his XDS.  Gun is completely stock.

Anything he should look at in particular?  Gun is not overly dirty.  Only thing I can see as an issue is maybe the striker spring and channel needs a good cleaning and a light oiling.  Gun has about a 1000 rounds thru it, so its just getting broken in.

1 minute ago, blaze190 said:

Check and clean striker channel. No oil in it either. Oil will create a hydrolock situation and light strike every time.

Thanks, was my thoughts as well.

On my M&Ps, I just lube the striker lightly, like less than a single drop, not dump it in, which is what i think he did.

Clean the striker channel.  While you are at it get the upgraded striker retainer pin from springer or one of the other suppliers.  When I was shooting an XDm I’d clean the striker channel every 1000 rounds or so and replace the pin every 5000 or so.  As long as I kept to that schedule I didn’t have light strike problems..

I've seen this issue happen for two reasons.

1.  High round-count gun, striker face just became worn.  Replace fixes it, but at 1k rounds, that's not the problem here.

2.  Gunked up striker channel.  The striker channel should be clear of all oil, debris, etc.  From what I've seen, a lot of people doing non-detailed cleanings of their XD/XDm's just flip the slide upside down and spray their cleaners/oils on liberally, which will allow those liquids to work their way into the striker channel, and eventually it gunks the channel up and causes light strikes.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, fbzero said:

I've seen this issue happen for two reasons.

1.  High round-count gun, striker face just became worn.  Replace fixes it, but at 1k rounds, that's not the problem here.

2.  Gunked up striker channel.  The striker channel should be clear of all oil, debris, etc.  From what I've seen, a lot of people doing non-detailed cleanings of their XD/XDm's just flip the slide upside down and spray their cleaners/oils on liberally, which will allow those liquids to work their way into the striker channel, and eventually it gunks the channel up and causes light strikes.

+1 here...the striker channel needs to be clean and dry.  If you can get your hands on some, Hornady One Shot does a great job at cleaning firearms.  It leaves a very thin dry film behind after cleaning that protects and lubes.  It works great at cleaning the striker channel. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the striker spring also for just a few dollars...it's good insurance.

Edited by xd1977