Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Spring for reduced power load in STI DVC Limited 40 ?

SeattleDude

Hi guys. I have been shooting my STI DVC Limited 40 for second year now and never had any single problem with it.

I shoot USPSA Limited Major and 3 Gun.

Load is 5.1gr of VV N320 with 180gr Xtreme at 1.180 OAL. 

It makes 170pf all day long at 945 fps

I am thinking about maybe developing reduced power load with same 180gr Xtreme bullet to use in 3 Gun since there is no requirement for power factor.

Question is What Weight Recoil spring I need to go with? I would not think the stock one will work very well? (I dont even honestly know what comes stock in STI DVC Limited 40)

Gun is using Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod setup.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I dont want to just blindly purchase springs, but if I have to experiment at least maybe you guys can give me some numbers on your Reduced Power 40 180gr loads and what springs needed if they are needed at all.

I did the same thing for the few times I shot 3-Gun.  Think I was at like 135PF, and had to go to an 8lb spring for the gun to cycle reliably (could have probably used a 6 or 7lb).  Brass, was just dribbling out of the gun.

I didn't like the feel of the gun when shooting though.  Felt like I was always 'waiting' for the slide to come back into battery.  If you are going to ONLY shoot minor rounds, it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but since I rarely shoot minor, I don't think it helped me at all.  Taking to maybe 155PF might have been a different feel but I didn't want to spend a ton of time working on finding the proper setup.

Thats what I was afraid. Probably not worth messing with reduced power. Gun runs like raped ape with no malfunctions and it is not hard to control.

I looked around and it sounds like 14lb is standard what comes with DVC Limited 40?

Maybe try 13 or 12lb spring with same load and see if it helps? or "if it works dont mess with it" applies here?

Also with this Dawson Tool-Less Guide Rod setup what type of springs it takes? Can anyone link me please.

I was shooting production with .40 in an m&p before getting my limited gun built. 137pf out of the m&p was about 150 out of the longer 5" barrel. It runs fine down into the 145ish area with a 15lb progressive rate recoil spring and a pretty light main spring. Garry natale said it was 17lbs, but he also said the 17 lb spring I sent in with the box of parts wasn't and it feels lighter than a lot of others I've felt in other guns. Its also a try topped ball cut slide. Not a full weight unique slide.

Kind of like a bushing 5" eagle with a tri top