Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Volume/bulk

1911 rookie

Hi,

I am looking for a new powder to make a .45 ACP minor load for my revolver. I have been using Bullseye because that is what I had on hand, but it is bad for low power loads, unburnt powder everywhere.

I want a powder that takes up a lot of space, that .45 case is big for light loads, I am considering Titegroup and Clays, is one of them bulkier that the other?

Thanks,

Jason

Titegroup isn't at all bulky, but it functions very well in light power loads, and is designed not to fill the case. It's "position insensitive." I've never seen any reason to change to Clays, which seems to resemble it in some ways.

There's an article in this month's american rifleman about trailboss.

It is designed primarily for cowbow action shooters, and apparently designed for lead bullets, dunno how that may affect it's performance with jacketed bullets. IIRC there was a post on here saying that it supposedly doesn't work well with jacketed bullets.

So if you shoot jacketed you may want to call the folks who make trailboss and or wait till others have tested it more.

Titegroup is not the powder for light loads in the .45 when used in a revolver. You will get grit like sand in the cylinder and I had a difficult time after the second reload to even put a moon clip in the revolver. I you can keep it clean and never have to load more than twice it works but I wouldn't use Titegroup in a 625 or 25 for light loads. For heavy loads that just make major it works perfectly.

• 4 months later...
Can you go to 650 fps and would that be the absolute minimum.

Minimum in what way? At 650fps, you won't stick it in the barrel. A lot of the Bullseye shooters go that slow for the winter 50 foot Gallery matches...mostly use BE, Clays or 231.

...using Bullseye because that is what I had on hand, but it is bad for low power loads, unburnt powder everywhere.

It's the most popular powder for lo power loads in Bullseye shooting...it and Clays are considered the most accurate for target loads. I found it a lot cleaner when I went to a .468 - .469 crimp to ensure a more complete burn. A lot of residue is lube on lead bullets - cleaner with plated which we have to use at some indoor ranges.

None of the fast powders are going to really fill up a 45 case...top choices are BE, Clays. 231, WST, TG, V310-320 (pricey when you can find it). Clays is very clean but doesn't meter really well in my rotary drop - I get occ. bridging. V310 is best and cleanest but, not cheap and kind of hard to find around here. 231 is about as sooty as BE. I've heard TG runs very hot but a lot like it (there's another thread from a week ago in this section).

/Bryan

My experience with Titegroup is that it works better in hotter loads. I personally didn't like it at all with 230gr. bullets. It did better for me with 200gr. bullets. It's VERY dense and you can barely see the charge in .45 cases. I prefer Clays myself. It's "fluffy" and much easier to see in the case. It burns clean and recoil is soft. I haven't had metering problems with my Dillon press. I'm currently experimenting with N310 and it's also very nice. Not sure if it offers enough advantage over Clays to justify the extra expense, especially with minor loads.

It'll work if the gun will cycle...might have to go quite light on the spring and then you have the issue of reliable pick up of the next round...I gave up all the fussing at the low end and just stick with 3.8gr BE for a 200LSWC for 50ft to 25 yds and 4.0BE for 50 yds...also comparable pf in Clays.

Most BE shooters end up between 725 and 775 or so...

/Bryan