Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help building two caliber 2011 .22and9mm

Hello guys, 

So decided to get into shooting this year jumped two feet deep into shooting sports. Been involved in 3 gun,steel challenge,shotgun action matches,uspsa, and even shot a cowboy match not owning a gun in January to getting geared up today. 

So I live out here in California been shooting a zev glock 34 gen which I was happy with until I attended a Kieth Garcia 3 gun course and got to check out his akai customs 2011 I knew I had to have a 2011. I then searched for a frame I ended up finding a sti long wide frame I paid 800 dollars for the seller drove 500 miles to out local match to shoot and transfer then frame. 

So I currently I have just the frame and no clue about what parts to put into it. Initially I would like to shoot it in our local rimfire steel challenge match, so I'm looking into getting the tacsol 2211 upper and the fire control portion built  first  then collect the parts for a 9mm build for 3 gun use 

If I could get some recommendations on parts to order for the initial .22 I'm definitely ok with spending for quality parts that will work with the conversion and the centerfire.. price is not an issue with 

thanks 

here is the frame and below is my rimfire challenge rifle21DBF5F4-DFDF-47A1-B94E-CA8E36811B92_zpsB2DA1881-DAAB-4651-8122-41E551CC1CF8_zps

Edited by TheStagePlan

Look at Nelson Custom Guns for your .22 upper kit. One of the best kits available and mags are reasonably priced. As are spare parts and different sight options. 

I'm  doing the same thing with a 9mm single stack and open.22lr upper. Look at Thunder Mountain Customs for your internal parts.  Excellent parts for

very reasonable prices.  IMG_3095.JPG.96b419ac5b5a15b8729f386a153c66a8.JPGI went with an all steel Marvel conversion. 

47 minutes ago, zzt said:

JK, how did you get your Unit 1 to work with a 9/40 ejector?

My 'smith Shaved it down.  I'm still in process of building the 9mm upper so I can't comment in functionality yet, but I think I'll be okay.  

39 minutes ago, Wheelsonly said:

Very cool I contacted Nelson that's 8-10 weeks marvel only works on 1911 so looks like I am gonna go the tac sol direction 

Double check before taking my word for it, but the uppers shouldn't be any different whether it's a 1911 or 2011-- just the magazine will be specific to the frame.  Definitely not trying to talk you into or out of any particular brand, but I'm pretty sure that the 2011 mag will work with either a Marvel or Nelson upper (they are essentially the same design) and wouldn't be surprised if the TacSol design worked that way too.  As I recally, the instructions on my Marvel Unit 2 upper may have even said that it was good for either a 1911 or 2011 frame as long as the appropriate magazine was utilized.  

Edited by jkrispies

Correct, the Nelson kit works for either the 1911 or 2011. Only difference in the kits are the mags they supply. And when on sale, they are the best value for 2011 .22 mags.

Nelson Custom Guns also has the best CS. Very friendly and knowledgable staff when I've called them for anything.