Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Power Of Subconscious Imitation

I've been in the game for something over a year, shooting Production with a bunch of friends (all LEOs except me). We go to the matches together, shoot on the same squad, watch each other shoot...

The funny thing I soon realized was that, although each of us has a different shooting style, background and experience and we don't even practice together, all the four or five of us regularly finished very close together, and often the difference between the first and the last of us was less than 5% of the total score. It was almost ridiculous.

What changed things for me was a stage when four of us had a malfunction (two misfires, one FTE, one FTF) in the same place on a long COF. A 120-round match, a 28-round COF and 4 teammates having a malfunction in the same spot! (BTW, none of us had experienced a malfunction of any sort for many months before the match.)

None of the guys thought it was weird but it was a turning point for me. The absurd series of malfunctions made me realize...no, I'd suspected the imitation thing before...it made me KNOW I was never gonna shoot "like" someone. Sure, I still watch other guys shoot and try to learn, but I'm more detached from it.

Not to mention, shooting and matches have been much more enjoyable for me (plus I've beaten my teammates by a large margin a couple of times since then ;) )

I'm sure it's just "a little thing CzechM8's noticed" for most of you, but it was a major revelation for me.

Anyone have a similar experience?

This used to happen to me all the time. and still does quite often. You use someone else as a measuring stick/water mark, and then live up to your own expectations. You mentioning some little things makes some Big things come apparent to me which i knew... but forgot.

Thanks!