Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited 40 - First Impressions

RangerTrace

I received my new DVC Limited in 40 yesterday and took it to a local indoor range just to check zero and see if it would run my reloads at 1.20".  It ran perfectly other than a couple premature lock backs with a round or two in the magazine.  I can't see my sights worth a darn at indoor ranges, so the majority of the rounds were fired at 5 yards.  No sight adjustment was required to shoot the red out of the bullseye.

After a couple years of shooting Glocks and Sigs, the stock STI trigger feels awesome to me.  After a couple months of shooting 9mm 1911s, the recoil of the 40 did feel pretty harsh.

The overall fit and finish of the pistol is very nice and the new MBX style mags are a nice change as well.  I need to order some Grams spring/follower kits to see what they will hold, but I can live with 18 rounds for now.......

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Good luck with the new toy ....   :) 

Waiting for a 20 yard sized group when you can get outside.

Hope to make it to the Dallas Pistol Club next week to chrono my loads and see what she does at 15 yards (my chosen zero).  My SV barrels were pretty slow and needed 5.4 grains of N320 to make 950FPS.  I wonder if this stock STI barrel will be faster?  Seems most folks make major with 5.0 grains.....

I messed with the magazines today and noticed a couple of things.  Grams followers won't stay inside the feed lips of the stock "new style" STI mags.  Putting TTI base pads gives me 20, 19 reloadable with stock STI spring and followers.  And even though my 1.20" loads will function, they are contacting the barrel and are a tad difficult to unload show clear.  AAA rounds at 1.180" worked perfectly.

In regards to recoil, try out a 200 gr bullet.  I shot production for years before switching to limited.  The first batch of ammo I shot through my DVC was 165 gr.  The recoil felt really harsh and I wasn't 100% sure I was going to enjoy shooting limited. 

Since then, I started shooting 200 gr SNS coated RN bullets and absolutely love them.  Recoil is much softer.  Still more than a 9mm, obviously, but it is much more enjoyable!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, phil plesetz said:

you will need the Grams springs to keep them in the STI tubes. I have a new DVC and am very happy with all aspects. Fit, finish, function etc.

It was a Grams spring and follower......