Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock 3 for Carry Optics

GMButler

EAA lists the Tanfoglio Stock III at 2.8 pounds (really helpful when fractions of ounces matter). I want to buy a Stock 3 for USPSA Carry Optics (oh, and don't start me on how the USPSA arrived at an arbitrary 45 ounces as a max weight WITH magazine - looks like I'll be 3D printing mags now - want some?).  By my "precise" calculations, removing the front and rear sights deletes 1.4 ounces from 44.8 and then adding 1.2 ounces for the Vortex Viper and .4 for the mount makes EXACTLY 45 ounces.  WooHoo, perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket today.  Does anybody have any experience with this combination?  Are the weights accurate?  Are there other legal weight reduction modifications that are legal?

2 hours ago, GMButler said:

EAA lists the Tanfoglio Stock III at 2.8 pounds (really helpful when fractions of ounces matter). I want to buy a Stock 3 for USPSA Carry Optics (oh, and don't start me on how the USPSA arrived at an arbitrary 45 ounces as a max weight WITH magazine - looks like I'll be 3D printing mags now - want some?).  By my "precise" calculations, removing the front and rear sights deletes 1.4 ounces from 44.8 and then adding 1.2 ounces for the Vortex Viper and .4 for the mount makes EXACTLY 45 ounces.  WooHoo, perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket today.  Does anybody have any experience with this combination?  Are the weights accurate?  Are there other legal weight reduction modifications that are legal?

When ever anyone talks about shooting a stock 3 in idpa they mention the weigh from the manufacturer is light. I would weight one before you spent all the money 

Stock 2 with light GR, wood grips, dovetsil mounted vortex viper is 2# 12oz with taylor freelance mag extension and grams kit.

I doubt the s3 will be as light.

The SSI is a lot more heavier than factory grip or plastic grip. I used to have them and I compared them with my own plastics but I don't recall the exact numbers now. I know my thin plastic grips are only 0.5 oz. Can you take them off and weigh the gun without the SSI?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by JusticeOfToren

I'll do that tonight if I remember.

Can you get me the weights of your grips too? I'm planning to switch and I'm curious if half a safety, lightweight guide rod, grips, and basepads can get a Stock 3 into IDPA legally.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My stock 3 with henning pad, mag, SSI Scales:

1302 grams /  46.1 oz

Stock 3 with henning pad, mag, no grips at all:

1268 grams / 44.9 oz

Stock 3 without mag. No grips.

1150 grams / 40.6 oz

I included grams because it's far more precise than letting my scale round things to 1/10th of an ounce.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'll do that tonight if I remember.

Can you get me the weights of your grips too? I'm planning to switch and I'm curious if half a safety, lightweight guide rod, grips, and basepads can get a Stock 3 into IDPA legally.

Some are made thinner than others but they are avg 0.7 oz a pair.01ddb78600b720a220c1766b028735ca.jpg53685460eb2b310a4e2bb26935c66da5.jpg