Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Thread Sizing

d_striker

Will a barrel threaded 11/16x40 fit a comp that's threaded .685" x 40?  

11/16=.6875 which is close to .685.  I'm guessing that the barrel is slightly oversize so you can run a die on the threads?

22 hours ago, drewbeck said:

I have a 11/16-40 tap if you need To run it through the comp, I think it's better to go that way than cut down a fitted barrel in case the comp cracks

That's a good point.

it's likely just the different between fractional and decimal measurement. 

as you point out it should be 0.6875 but often the barrels are oversize. it's certainly better than having them underside!

as you likely know (but some don't) the die sets generally have a tension adjustment on them which will set how deeply they cut threads too, that also has an impact on thread engagement/fit of comp to barrel. 

12 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

it's likely just the different between fractional and decimal measurement. 

as you point out it should be 0.6875 but often the barrels are oversize. it's certainly better than having them underside!

as you likely know (but some don't) the die sets generally have a tension adjustment on them which will set how deeply they cut threads too, that also has an impact on thread engagement/fit of comp to barrel. 

I actually did not know that.  I'm not a gunsmith by any means.  Just know enough to get me into trouble.

Thanks for the tip.

Hello: Different barrels are also different sizes. I would get the barrel and comp setup and see how they fit together. They may fit perfectly. You may have to run a die on the barrel to make the comp fit up to the slide or you may have to counterbore the comp slightly to make things fit. It usually is not just plug and play. Thanks, Eric

Ya getting the comp to fit on the barrel is one thing, timing it is a whole different part of the equation... I counterbore the comp in lieu of threading the barrel longer.  That way you don't have to shorten the slide typically